Join for free
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2015, 09:37 AM

Dubai

I found this article interesting, I didnīt like Dubai either and have no desire to every visit there again.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/think...i.html?ref=yfp
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2015, 09:51 AM

Re: Dubai

Excellent article. I've only been there on stopovers when travelling long distance, but what he says is so true.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2015, 09:53 AM

Like anywhere places change and especially so when money has the power to change it.

Old Dubai was a fascinating place to visit in it's time. Sadly those times have gone.

Some great photos below of then and now

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/de...g-skyline.html
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2015, 10:11 AM

My niece and family have lived there for years. I can confirm the fact that rape victims get arrested as she took a girl to the police station after being attacked.
Apparently working for the super rich has its disadvantages too, they forget that people need to be paid sometimes!
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2015, 02:09 PM

We only had four days in Dubai but it really isn't my kind of place, I didn't like it much at all. I preferred Bahrain where we spent a week, but I have no desire to go back there either.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2015, 02:19 PM

Hi

Well, odd one out again, I loved the place.

The fishing was fantastic, the Souks very cheap, gold in particular and a few very good meals.

Far less expensive than London as well.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2015, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Like anywhere places change and especially so when money has the power to change it.
Old Dubai was a fascinating place to visit in it's time. Sadly those times have gone.
I first went to Dubai in 1974 - I think - and I went there to work.
It was a bit like the Wild West back then and there were roaming bands of bandits out in the sticks still but the town itself was quite a mix of all sorts of people with the increasing numbers of oil workers, (like me!) adding to it all and we mixed pretty well I thought.

The Police were fair considering what some of us got up to and although Sharia Law was applied it wasn't like Saudi - and I have good cause to regret getting into trouble there.

My last "tour" in Dubai was 1984 and it hadn't "morphed" into the metropolis it seems to be now and was still growing slowly. I unfortunately got myself into trouble there though and left under a cloud after a spell as a guest of the Sheikh.

That wasn't too bad though but I did deserve it for being such a drunken pillock!

Happy Days! stevmk2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top