Join for free
islandman
Dorset UK
islandman is male  islandman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2016, 12:44 PM

Oh my lord, I thought this travel malarky was over!

We have never been one's for foreign travel. We've dabbled a bit but age and infirmity put a stop to it.

We were threw into the deep end when our daughter decided that a wedding on a beach in the Indian Ocean, Mauritius to be precise would be ideal. So off we went, mobility walker and all.

Moving on from that, we allowed our passport to expire and settled for our "home beach" and we're quite contented.

But, as she is in the military, a three year posting to Cyprus has just started, in fact today is her first working day. So, although they will return to the UK once or twice a year, we now need to address the issues of flying out to them.

Passports have been renewed (back within eight days), insurance that covered ALL the pre-existing conditions and an ace up our sleeves?????

They suggested that as we're going in June, just take hand luggage. Shorts and tops and undies can be dried in a couple of hours. All my appliance needs can be sent in advance, just need medication easily accessible and we should be alright. Even my phone can double up as camera.

I intend traveling in shorts and some sort of jacted with umpteen pockets for storage.

Just think, we have NEVER been abroad on our own before. What are we letting ourselves in for?.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2016, 01:26 PM

Re: Oh my lord, I thought this travel malarky was over!

Have a great time Colin my husband was stationed in Cyprus for a while and used to ski in the Troodos Mountains.
He loved the Island.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2016, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by islandman ->
we have NEVER been abroad on our own before. What are we letting ourselves in for?.
The worst part will be the flight. There was a time I can remember when air travel was a pleasure, even tourist class you were treated like someone special, in my twenties I travelled on business many times, enjoyed it. But sorry to say it's not like that now. You are just cattle and the other passengers are often ignorant rude and common It got so bad that when we lived in mainland Europe I had to buy a motorhome to go back and forth to England just couldn't put up with the drunken passengers, the delays, the seats that didn't recline, and the germ infested airports.

But, you will want to see your daughter and I suppose it's worth it to you to go through all of this.

You should have a nice time when you get there, I was in Cyprus when a kid, if you can visit the Troodos mountains you'll see some nice scenery.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2016, 03:37 PM

We go to Europe 2/3 times a year but time spent at the airport is a nightmare to me. Queuing here, there and everywhere and not really knowing where to go.......I'm always glad when that part of the travelling is over.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2016, 04:22 PM

Hi

Flew Ryanair for the first time last year, it was horrible, but only for a couple of hours.

I like foreign travel, but long haul, if I have to put with flying I want somewhere nice at the end of it.

I always use BA if I can, their airport lounges are good.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2016, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Flew Ryanair for the first time last year, it was horrible, but only for a couple of hours.

I like foreign travel, but long haul, if I have to put with flying I want somewhere nice at the end of it.

I always use BA if I can, their airport lounges are good.
We always travel with BA, Mr Mags refuses to use any budget airlines. I quite enjoy the airport experience and we've never had any problems with finding our way around .... we usually try to find a seat near the information screens.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2016, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
we usually try to find a seat near the information screens.
And you're telling me you can actually find a seat never mind one near the information screens.

I found they were usually occupied with people sleeping lengthways (Shoes still on of course) or families with screaming kids, or smelly fat lumps with 20 suitcases stashed around so you can't get to the one empty seat until someone has pushed his way onto it.

As I mentioned above I did a lot of flying in the sixties and early seventies but I can't tell you how happy I am that I will never have to use a modern airline anymore.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2016, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
And you're telling me you can actually find a seat never mind one near the information screens.

I found they were usually occupied with people sleeping lengthways (Shoes still on of course) or families with screaming kids, or smelly fat lumps with 20 suitcases stashed around so you can't get to the one empty seat until someone has pushed his way onto it.

As I mentioned above I did a lot of flying in the sixties and early seventies but I can't tell you how happy I am that I will never have to use a modern airline anymore.
We must be lucky then Losos never had a problem finding a seat. This was in the Departure Lounge, so no big suitcases stashed anywhere .... just the respectable sized hand luggage
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2016, 12:12 AM

Every two or three years for the last twenty years my wife and i have flown to Christchurch in NZ to visit two granddaughters. This coming Christmas we're off again. The flight takes roughly twenty four hours with a stop or three which breaks it up a little. The last time and this next time we are going business class which means a bed..of sorts..and better menu with lots of pampering from the flight crew. When we eventually arrive i have a one hundred plus mile drive to where they live. Cant wait to see them again plus the two new great grandsons aged six and three. Roll on December!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top