Join for free
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2016, 10:42 PM

Re: Pum seeks Pom advice !

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
Not much into museums or art.
I guess trying to cover England, Scotland and Ireland in four weeks means we'll be pretty much be restricted to just the normal touristy stuff.
In London, say, for just a few days - Buck Palace, Westminster Abbey, Parliament, St Pauls, that bloody big ferris wheel thing (London Eye ?) - that sort of stuff.
Actually, I prefer to spend time with people as much as places or things.
Try to get to now the natives - so to speak.

I am into pubs - but wifey, not so much.
And I'd like to sample the music wherever we go.
If you're going to London, I shouldn't worry about the traditional touristy places you mention. Far too hackneyed.

May I suggest the old Cockney area of Tower Hamlets. Plenty of natives there, although to be honest they're not actually natives of England.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2016, 10:45 PM

[QUOTE=Morticia;967922]Downing Street is another popular place. I'm not sure whether it's pedestrianized and only allows the PM, government ministers, police and Larry.

But Morty, don't forget they've got a CAT there.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2016, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
And often best to plan ahead unless you want to get snarled in traffic.

Once again, I'm afraid that Morty is trying to mislead you, Pum.

As every Brit would confirm, that is not conventional traffic. We use cars now (as well as red buses). No, that's the weekly 'hands and knees' crawling race from one end of the Mile End Road to the other, traditionally always run in an easterly direction for some reason.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2016, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
But Morty, don't forget they've got a CAT there.
Isn't that a slightly unkind way to refer to your new FEMALE pm ?
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2016, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

Once again, I'm afraid that Morty is trying to mislead you, Pum.

As every Brit would confirm, that is not conventional traffic. We use cars now (as well as red buses). No, that's the weekly 'hands and knees' crawling race from one end of the Mile End Road to the other, traditionally always run in an easterly direction for some reason.
Okay ... I picked a picture that showed most congestion. a slight exaggeration. We have lovely meter maids here called Rita who'll slap a parking ticket on their bum if they move at less than 5 miles an hour and try to park up on double yellow lines.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2016, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
Not much into museums or art.
I guess trying to cover England, Scotland and Ireland in four weeks means we'll be pretty much restricted to just the normal touristy stuff.
In London, say, for just a few days - Buck Palace, Westminster Abbey, Parliament, St Pauls, that bloody big ferris wheel thing (London Eye ?) - that sort of stuff.
Actually, I prefer to spend time with people as much as places or things.
Try to get to now the natives - so to speak.

I am into pubs - but wifey, not so much.
And I'd like to sample the music wherever we go.

EDIT: And yes, an absolute must - one or two of those places where the Muslim demographic is most prominent.
Would love to chat with a few about the attitudes they encounter.
Bradford's the place.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2016, 11:01 PM

Stay put, unless the call is so strong.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2016, 11:20 PM

Come to Hitchin Pummy, smashing little town, and not too far from Luton.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

12-08-2016, 11:53 PM

You know, I'm beginning to suspect that some people are not taking this matter seriously. I think we should try to be more helpful to our friends from the antipodean colonies.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2016, 07:47 AM

Whatever you do, give London the swerve !!!
That is not England.....England is anywhere else.

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top