Join for free
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2018, 11:40 PM

Frack Off!

Anyone got opinions on fracking? I went to an anti-fracking meeting yesterday and learned that the criteria to obtain a licence for fracking has changed radically, that the waste matter will create super-serious pollution and possible lethal waste for people. Is that the way we want to go? What happened to wind farms, tidal energy..............clean energy???

I'd like to find a way to uncover the lies and corruption I fear may underlie this whole issue.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2018, 12:10 AM

Re: Frack Off!

Nuclear energy is the only way to go, all the other ways are just window dressing.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2018, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Nuclear energy is the only way to go, all the other ways are just window dressing.
I agree. France is covered with nuclear power stations but nobody here worries about that so why don't we have more? It works and the risks are known and can be managed by strict controls. Unlike fracking where we have no idea of the long term effects on the earth's core and on the environment.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2018, 06:59 AM

Hi

We need gas and oil, going all electric will be hugely expensive.

Renewables are expensive to install, but then operating costs are minimal.

Nuclear has huge issue with waste, every Government here in the UK has flunked the issue, nobody wants it and the costs of building a facility will be enormous.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2018, 07:43 AM

And just what do we do with all the radioactive waste thar is generated from nuclear energy???
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2018, 09:19 AM

Hmm I seem to remember Margaret Thatcher telling us all that years ago but she was shouted down.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2018, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Hmm I seem to remember Margaret Thatcher telling us all that years ago but she was shouted down.
Yes, she was the expert on BSE wasn't she???
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2018, 11:48 AM

We are the world's second biggest exporter of natural gas but it costs $13 a gigajoule here yet we can buy our gas in Japan for $8 a gigajoule. Is that daft or what?

BTW NSW and Victoria have a moratorium on fracking because the National Party doesn't like it on their farm land.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2018, 12:09 PM

UK fracking firm plans to dump wastewater in the sea

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...r-in-sea-ineos

Green campaigners and people living near prospective sites have highlighted the potential environmental impacts of fracking, such as contamination of water supplies, minor tremors and local air pollution. But the issue of where the huge quantities of resulting waste water is disposed has received less attention.

Shale companies pump water, chemicals and sand at high pressure underground to fracture shale rock and release the gas within, but each well can use as much as 6m gallons of water. Between 20 and 40% flows back to the surface, containing salts, chemicals and naturally occurring radioactive material which the Environment Agency (EA) says is likely to be classified as radioactive waste.

Two years ago, shale firm Cuadrilla withdrew an application for a permit to frack in Lancashire after the EA tightened up the rules over safe disposal. The change came after 2m gallons of wastewater had already been discharged into the Manchester ship canal.
2m gallons of radioactive waste may be a drop in the ocean but hundreds, even thousands, of wells, each contaminating 6m gallons of water, represent a threat to life .....
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2018, 03:44 PM

I live beside one of those reactor things. Dounreay is on the top coast a few miles west of us, I often pass it on my way to Strathy Beach..

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top