Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2018, 09:10 PM

Global warming?

What are your views on global warming? Perhaps you were a sceptic but this year you are changing your mind? Or perhaps you think this is just a blip?

Here's the NASA page :

https://climate.nasa.gov/

The headlines are

CO2 up 408 parts per million
Global temperature up 1.8 degrees F since 1880
Arctic ice minimum down 13.2% per decade
Ice sheets losing mass by 413 gigatonnes per decade

So which side are you on? That climate change is fake news or denying it is fake news?

I'm on the climate change is happening side, but I don't think anything we do now will stop it. Just sad that a lot of animals will die this summer. There are wild horses in the states really suffering but also our farm animals in the UK.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2018, 09:24 PM

Re: Global warming?

I'm on the fence tbh Annie.
On one hand for example they bang on about co2, but now co2 has been adopted (by some) as an environmentally friendly refrigerant (compared to the gwp of others). Some supermarkets have gone over to it for example.

I'm more inclined to think it's a natural phase the planet is going through.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2018, 09:33 PM

I'm think there is climate change, climate changes have happened in the past with the ice age then it came warmer.

I think this year is very much like the summer of 1976 then after that year the summers were never as warm again. It seems like its a cycle.

I worry for the polar bears and all the animals that are affected by the climate.

I'm inclined to agree with fender, it's a natural phase.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2018, 09:34 PM

I think we need to see a few more hot summers before we can blame global warming. It will probably rain for the next 25 years when this one is over.

I think the most worrying part is how quickly this Country falls a part when there is a change in weather.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2018, 09:34 PM

So would we survive a natural phase that could lead to an end of our way of life? (by that I mean we no longer have access to plentiful food, water, etc). Because I am sure I can't be the only one that finds this weather a bit frightening, particularly when we have wildfires and livestock dying.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2018, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I think we need to see a few more hot summers before we can blame global warming. It will probably rain for the next 25 years when this one is over.

I think the most worrying part is how quickly this Country falls a part when there is a change in weather.
A bit longer than 40 days and 40 nights then Longy
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

23-07-2018, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->

This is about the third hot summer in as many years but we have had some brief respite until this year. Southern Europe has had 40 degree heat in that time. Japan is now 40 degrees and people have died, 10k have been admitted to hospital. It's not just us. We have gotten off lightly.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2018, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
So would we survive a natural phase that could lead to an end of our way of life? (by that I mean we no longer have access to plentiful food, water, etc). Because I am sure I can't be the only one that finds this weather a bit frightening, particularly when we have wildfires and livestock dying.
We wouldn't survive very long. A lot of food has been destroyed because it has all ripened at the same time and cannot be picked fast enough. Then there's the problem of feeding the animals when there is no grass.

How ironic will it be if we suddenly need financial Aid from other Countries. I wonder how many would support us?
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2018, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
But as said, go back to the summer of '76 - it's not really happened since, until now.
I still feel it's a phase and there is a lot of scaremongering going on.
Planets will go through certain natural cycles - some worse than others.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK

23-07-2018, 09:40 PM

It has crossed my mind that we have a lot of fires caused by heat over the years but it doesn't really worry me Annie, no amount of worrying is going to stop what may happen. Que Sera Sera x

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top