Join for free
Page 17 of 17 « First < 7 15 16 17
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2018, 08:15 PM

Re: Scotland, England and the EU

Originally Posted by JBR ->
That raises a further question.

Yes, I realise that Scotland was once a separate and independent nation and, on those grounds, could have the right to once again become a separate and independent nation.

The same applies with regard to Northern Ireland inasmuch as it could become part of a united Ireland.

But what about Wales. Wales was never a kingdom and is, nominally, a principality. Is there an historical basis for its future independence (assuming it would want it)?

If the answer is 'yes', then how far further could that go?

How about the ancient Kingdom of Northumbria? A new and independent nation of the North of England?

In fact, England could conceivably become the separate Kingdoms of Northumbria, Mercia, East Anglia, Wessex, Sussex and Essex, and possibly even Kent.

Some would even argue that Londonistan is already an independent nation in all but name!
The ancient Kingdom of Northumbria had it's northern border at the Firth of Forth.

That's why the ethnicity of the Lothians and the Scottish Border region is mostly Anglo-Saxon in origin and it's mother dialect is 'Scots' which is a derivative dialect of 'Old
English'
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2018, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
It's not imperative to have a trade agreement in order to trade wity the USA or the EU.

The 20% of Scottish exports that goes to the USA and the EU will continue to head that way post Brexit.
Listened to Trump recently when he is ranting about treaties with trade partners? He will screw the UK three times over.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2018, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Listened to Trump recently when he is ranting about treaties with trade partners? He will screw the UK three times over.
I'd love to borrow your Crystal Ball , if I may.

It must be nice to know things that haven't even happened yet.

My opinion ( not a definitive statement of indesputable fact) is that Trump will negotiate a favourable deal with the UK by way of a two fingered salute to the EU.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2018, 08:49 PM

The ancient Kingdom of Northumbria had it's northern border at the Firth of Forth.

That's why the ethnicity of the Lothians and the Scottish Border region is mostly Anglo-Saxon in origin and it's mother dialect is 'Scots' which is a derivative dialect of 'Old
English'
Yes, I believe you're right, although the borders of those ancient kingdoms used to move about a bit too.

Still, I'd be happy to give the new independent Kingdom of Scotland that bit of Northumberland beyond Berwick.

I'm not greedy.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2018, 08:52 PM

My opinion ( not a definitive statement of indesputable fact) is that Trump will negotiate a favourable deal with the UK by way of a two fingered salute to the EU.
I get the same impression. I have heard that he's not entirely enamoured of the EU.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2018, 10:37 PM

America first. So, favorable for the USA, not necessarily the UK.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2018, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
America first. So, favorable for the USA, not necessarily the UK.
Definitely not the UK.

Page 17 of 17 « First < 7 15 16 17

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top