Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 10:09 PM

Re: search for second earth

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
They might be so advanced that we are a result of their exploration.....
wait until we all get to the "other side" then it will really get exciting and we will be exclaiming "OH that's how it's done - I never thought of that"!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 10:26 PM

They might be so advanced that we are a result of their exploration.....
Yes indeed. That, too, has been suggested by many authorities.
And then there are the great pyramids...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes indeed. That, too, has been suggested by many authorities.
And then there are the great pyramids...
We visited the Vatican while on holiday a couple of years ago, and there were large fabric maps hanging on the walls featuring of some of the Mediterranean Islands. They were reported to have been done sometime before the thirteenth century.
The detail was so accurate, it was suggested they could only have been mapped from the air......
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 09:44 AM

We visited the Vatican while on holiday a couple of years ago, and there were large fabric maps hanging on the walls featuring of some of the Mediterranean Islands. They were reported to have been done sometime before the thirteenth century.
The detail was so accurate, it was suggested they could only have been mapped from the air......
I'm interested in maps so I Googled that .....

Were the walls the Gallery of Maps .....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I'm interested in maps so I Googled that .....

Were the walls the Gallery of Maps .....
Yes they were Omah, this is the photograph I took while walking down the corridor inside the Vatican. On the right hand side you can see all of the maps adorning the wall all the way down to the Sistine Chapel.....

Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 11:21 AM

Yes they were Omah, this is the photograph I took while walking down the corridor inside the Vatican. On the right hand side you can see all of the maps adorning the wall all the way down to the Sistine Chapel.....
Amazing ......

But not, apparently, as old as you remember:

The Gallery of Maps (Italian: Galleria delle carte geografiche) is a gallery located on the west side of the Belvedere Courtyard in the Vatican containing a series of painted topographical maps of Italy based on drawings by friar and geographer Ignazio Danti.

The gallery was commissioned in 1580 by Pope Gregory XIII as part of other artistic works commissioned by the Pope to decorate the Vatican. It took Danti three years (1580–1583) to complete the 40 panels of the 120 m long gallery.
Here's one with an "aerial" view:

I must try to get a selection of these incredible images for my collection of maps, which are mostly British or "world" .....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

11-09-2018, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Amazing ......

But not, apparently, as old as you remember:

Here's one with an "aerial" view:

I must try to get a selection of these incredible images for my collection of maps, which are mostly British or "world" .....
It was a while ago Omah, and my memory is not as good as it once was. I do recall the surprise when I heard how accurate the maps had been without being able to view it from above........Or did they?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 09:53 PM

It was a while ago Omah, and my memory is not as good as it once was. I do recall the surprise when I heard how accurate the maps had been without being able to view it from above........Or did they?
The extent of land as shown on those maps could not possibly be seen from any altitude other than outside the earth's atmosphere. Certainly, the only means of flight that could possibly have been attempted in those days would have been balloons, and even so they came later.

Could they have been done by direct measurements taken from the earth's surface? I suspect not, especially as the map shown includes large areas of sea.

So how could they have been produced so accurately?

Is it possible that there has been some jiggery pokery? Could they be modern fraudulent productions, artificially aged?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

11-09-2018, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
The extent of land as shown on those maps could not possibly be seen from any altitude other than outside the earth's atmosphere. Certainly, the only means of flight that could possibly have been attempted in those days would have been balloons, and even so they came later.

Could they have been done by direct measurements taken from the earth's surface? I suspect not, especially as the map shown includes large areas of sea.

So how could they have been produced so accurately?

Is it possible that there has been some jiggery pokery? Could they be modern fraudulent productions, artificially aged?
I suppose that's possible JB, but there has also been some impressive civil engineering projects discovered that would have not been easy to build using today's technology.
I also believe some very accurate star charts have been discovered, and the stone circles present around the British Isles have also been linked to astronomical positioning occurances.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

11-09-2018, 11:06 PM

I suppose that's possible JB, but there has also been some impressive civil engineering projects discovered that would have not been easy to build using today's technology.
I also believe some very accurate star charts have been discovered, and the stone circles present around the British Isles have also been linked to astronomical positioning occurances.
Yes of course, like the pyramids we have been talking about.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top