Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 07:34 PM

What's wrong with Formula one?

Continuing a discussion that Besoeker and me started elsewhere, where I pointed out the fact that F1 is so predictable, and only the most wealthy teams had any chance of finishing in the top three, barring accidents and breakdowns.

Sure, the same technical rules apply to all teams, but the use and availability of testing facilities and tracks does not apply to all the teams. In fact many of the lesser teams are running second hand engines when the bigger teams have developed new ones.....
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 07:39 PM

Re: What's wrong with Formula one?

What's wrong with it?
It's boring.

I stopped watching it years back and unless it's improved it seemed then that whichever driver got to the first corner on the first lap .... won the race.
Very processional. Too many team orders. Too many characterless drivers who lack the hunger to win.

But I still think they look good in them tight hip hugging one piece drivers suits
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
What's wrong with it?
It's boring.

I stopped watching it years back and unless it's improved it seemed then that whichever driver got to the first corner on the first lap .... won the race.
Very processional. Too many team orders. Too many characterless drivers who lack the hunger to win.

But I still think they look good in them tight hip hugging one piece drivers suits
You can take the sport out of racing fast cars........Wait a minute.......No you can't!..

It only gets exciting when the safety car comes out....
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 08:23 PM

I'd forgotten about the safety cars.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 08:29 PM

I wouldn't mind if they actually got somewhere!!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

07-09-2018, 08:32 PM

I reckon that all the teams should get together and produce a 'Standard' Formula One racing car, and bring racing back to the skill of the driver.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Continuing a discussion that Besoeker and me started elsewhere, where I pointed out the fact that F1 is so predictable, and only the most wealthy teams had any chance of finishing in the top three, barring accidents and breakdowns.

Sure, the same technical rules apply to all teams, but the use and availability of testing facilities and tracks does not apply to all the teams. In fact many of the lesser teams are running second hand engines when the bigger teams have developed new ones.....
You could argue that all the engines are second hand after their first outing. The teams are allowed a limited number of engines per season. Change one in qualifying and expect to start at the back of the grid.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 08:48 PM

The early 60s was the golden era, I was truly hooked at the age of ten. Surtees, Clark, Hill and Brabham they were on my bedroom wall.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

07-09-2018, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
You could argue that all the engines are second hand after their first outing. The teams are allowed a limited number of engines per season. Change one in qualifying and expect to start at the back of the grid.
Trouble is Besoeker, the engines the lower teams receive are yesterday's technology.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I reckon that all the teams should get together and produce a 'Standard' Formula One racing car, and bring racing back to the skill of the driver.
It very much is. The technical regulations apply to all teams so the cars are pretty much to a standard. They all have to have a 1.6 litre V6 engine, they have the same tyre choices by the one manufacturer, the same maximum amount of fuel that has to last the entire race, the same energy recovery system

There is one significant variable - the driver.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top