Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
itsme
Wigan UK
itsme is male  itsme has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 06:01 PM

This is not right

Although a fervent European, I have read today in the Times that the General European Court (a subsidiary of the ECJ) has backed the fact that MEP's do not have to prove, by receipts etc. their spending of some 4,400 euros per month expenses.

It concluded that an obligation to publish spending records would undermine MEPs’ privacy, concluding that campaigners had failed to prove publishing information was “appropriate and proportional”.

This obviously smacks of the same problem the UK had with our own MP's and leaves the EU open to ridicule by those who would wish to use it as proof of mismanagement of European tax payers funds.

When working I was always required to present proof of expenditure related to my work, and if I didn't the claim was not paid.

This in my view is, like the UK, a system failure through which, like UK MP's, MEP's would wriggle.

I shall most certainly be contacting my MEP over this matter and after checking the facts I hope you all do the same.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 06:05 PM

Re: This is not right

The EU is awash with other people's cash, so why should they care how much is fiddled away, just one of the many, many reasons why we need to get the hell out of there pronto...
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 06:10 PM

Hi

It is not just the MEPs it is the Civil Servants as well.

When I was working I suggest that rather than swan off to Brussels on a Friday we could do most of it by video conferencing.

I was firmly put in my place.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 06:47 PM

What exactly did you want to do by video conference?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 06:52 PM

The same as you do sat down having a conference you confer !
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
What exactly did you want to do by video conference?
Hi

Discuss technical things, just as easy to do by video conference.

Much cheaper than an overnight stay in London, Eurostar there and back, and train back to Shropshire, all paid for by the taxpayer.

Same effect could have been achieved at a tenth of the cost to the taxpayer.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by itsme ->
Although a fervent European, I have read today in the Times that the General European Court (a subsidiary of the ECJ) has backed the fact that MEP's do not have to prove, by receipts etc. their spending of some 4,400 euros per month expenses.

It concluded that an obligation to publish spending records would undermine MEPs’ privacy, concluding that campaigners had failed to prove publishing information was “appropriate and proportional”.

This obviously smacks of the same problem the UK had with our own MP's and leaves the EU open to ridicule by those who would wish to use it as proof of mismanagement of European tax payers funds.

When working I was always required to present proof of expenditure related to my work, and if I didn't the claim was not paid.

This in my view is, like the UK, a system failure through which, like UK MP's, MEP's would wriggle.

I shall most certainly be contacting my MEP over this matter and after checking the facts I hope you all do the same.
Good luck with that.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
The same as you do sat down having a conference you confer !
Could you write that in English please?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 08:15 PM

I think they all get together just to have a mass debate
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 08:18 PM

I think the penny has dropped for the OP.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top