Join for free
Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2020, 07:13 PM

Re: Petrol and diesel car sales ban brought forward to 2035

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Ah, yes, Mr Bate and his methane motor. Spent more money on fuel heating up the chicken poop converter than he saved on petrol.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2020, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Ah, yes, Mr Bate and his methane motor. Spent more money on fuel heating up the chicken poop converter than he saved on petrol.
Nevertheless, it sounds convincing and practical, if utilised correctly.

I envisage such a use of methane (obtained from plentiful natural resources) especially when oil becomes more scarce and expensive.

I expect, however, that the heat source for extracting the methane might be more practical and economical if done on a large scale basis and sold to motorists, rather than us having to do it ourselves in our 'backyards'.

Of course, there is the temptation for 'manufacturers' - and certainly the government - to impose charges or taxes for their own profit. On the other hand, unlike the complicated process of converting raw oil to petrol or diesel, it appears to be something any of us could do.

Yes, I'd be happy to chase around after horses to collect their generous contributions!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2020, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

I envisage such a use of methane (obtained from plentiful natural resources) especially when oil becomes more scarce and expensive.

I expect, however, that the heat source for extracting the methane might be more practical and economical if done on a large scale basis and sold to motorists, rather than us having to do it ourselves in our 'backyards'.

Of course, there is the temptation for 'manufacturers' - and certainly the government - to impose charges or taxes for their own profit. On the other hand, unlike the complicated process of converting raw oil to petrol or diesel, it appears to be something any of us could do.

Yes, I'd be happy to chase around after horses to collect their generous contributions!
Always assuming they aren't extinct by then.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2020, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Always assuming they aren't extinct by then.
Doubtful. If the eco-warriors have their way, we'll all be using horses for transport.

Except for me! Marge and I can produce our own raw materials for the generation of methane.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2020, 09:23 PM

is this the chicken car?

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2020, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I think we should all go back to owning horses & carriages/carts, then the population couldn't travel as far, nor would there be any fumes except from the dung, which is good as a fertilizer.
I've been watching DVD's of Larkrise to Candleford. Wish I had lived in those times.
You need a reality check.

The invention of the motor car saved large cities like New York and London from being buried in shit and horse piss.

London in 1900 had 11000 hansom cabs each horse produced up to 15 kg of poo each day and two litres of urine so they produced 165 tonnes of poo and 22 tonnes of urine daily without counting all the other forms of horse drawn transport.

Great horse manure crisis of 1894 might be a myth but in fact the crisis was very real
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2020, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
You need a reality check.

The invention of the motor car saved large cities like New York and London from being buried in shit and horse piss.

London in 1900 had 11000 hansom cabs each horse produced up to 15 kg of poo each day and two litres of urine so they produced 165 tonnes of poo and 22 tonnes of urine daily without counting all the other forms of horse drawn transport.

Great horse manure crisis of 1894 might be a myth but in fact the crisis was very real
Indeed:

Originally Posted by Omah ->
The Great Horse Manure Crisis of 1894 Part I

https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryU...risis-of-1894/

By the late 1800s, large cities all around the world were “drowning in horse manure”. In order for these cities to function, they were dependent on thousands of horses for the transport of both people and goods.

In 1900, there were over 11,000 hansom cabs on the streets of London alone. There were also several thousand horse-drawn buses, each needing 12 horses per day, making a staggering total of over 50,000 horses transporting people around the city each day.

To add to this, there were yet more horse-drawn carts and drays delivering goods around what was then the largest city in the world.

This huge number of horses created major problems. The main concern was the large amount of manure left behind on the streets. On average a horse will produce between 15 and 35 pounds of manure per day, so you can imagine the sheer scale of the problem. The manure on London’s streets also attracted huge numbers of flies which then spread typhoid fever and other diseases.

Each horse also produced around 2 pints of urine per day and to make things worse, the average life expectancy for a working horse was only around 3 years. Horse carcasses therefore also had to be removed from the streets. The bodies were often left to putrefy so the corpses could be more easily sawn into pieces for removal.

The streets of London were beginning to poison its people. This problem came to a head when in 1894, The Times newspaper predicted… “In 50 years, every street in London will be buried under nine feet of manure.”

It seemed urban civilisation was doomed.
bloggsy
Hampshire
bloggsy is male  bloggsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2020, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I will be long gone by then or past driving anything other than my legs
Me as well
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2020, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

I have seen examples of biogas generators on farms in the UK already producing sufficient quantities of methane to fuel up converted farm vehicles, heat buildings and export into the gas network. However, these generators rely on the dung from several local diary farms to keep going 24/7/52. Once the methane production has finished in one generator, it is pumped out and spread like normal muck onto the fields as fertiliser (but apparently without too much of the smell).
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2020, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
First of all I would like to know how many of the politicians' personal luxury cars are electric. I don't have a 'gas guzzler' any more because it guzzled gas and was too expensive to run, nothing to do with 'saving the planet' though.

I suppose if all fails we can catch a lift on the next bandwagon.
Nah, don't worry about the bandwagon, we can hitch a ride on their lengthy gravy-train. All aboard the Westminster Bubble Express and please mind the reality gap

Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top