Join for free
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2013, 10:53 AM

Fruit Pickers Wanted

My blackberry bush which I train along wires above my boundary fence. My neighbour is allowed to pick as many as he wants.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2013, 11:11 AM

Re: Fruit Pickers Wanted

Bumper crop there, council workmen weed killed all the brambles here so no fruit for us this year unless we go further a field.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2013, 12:43 PM

Ha Ha... It's a noxious weed.

Blackberry (Rubus fruticosus agg. species)

Recognised as one of the worst weeds in Australia, blackberry was declared a Weed of National Significance (WoNS) in 1999. Blackberries belong to a large genus (group of species) called Rubus which includes other berry plants such as raspberries (R. idaeus), dewberries (R. roribaccus), and loganberries (R. loganobaccus).

Blackberry grows vigorously and can infest large areas quickly. Negative impacts include:
  • reduced available grazing land (most livestock find blackberry unpalatable) and restricted livestock access to water (when growing densely around waterbodies)
  • reduced productivity of land caused by shading out of pastures and crops, and competition for soil moisture and nutrients
  • problems in forestry such as the prevention of regeneration of hardwood forests and reduced capacity of plantation softwood and hardwood seedlings to establish and grow. Thickets of blackberry also hinder access for forest operations
  • degradation of natural environments by displacing native plants and reducing habitat for native animals
  • devaluation of visual and recreational aspects of public land, parks and reserves
  • provision of harbour for vermin such as rabbits and foxes, and seasonal food for exotic animals such as starlings, blackbirds and foxes. These pest species also disperse blackberry seed, acting as vectors that spread blackberry infestations
  • increased fire hazard caused by dead blackberry material and obstruction of access to fire trails and water for controlling fires.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2013, 03:31 PM

And they are so delicious too !
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2013, 05:50 PM

my neighbour grows them too, only thing is they are not trained anywhere they just grow all over their garden literally, and coming over to mine too. will have Bramble jelly and blackberry crumble though. Good year for blackberries too if we keep getting the snshine.Mypear and apple trees doing good too.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2013, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Ha Ha... It's a noxious weed.
It's a fact Bruce that uncontrolled wild blackberries can be an absolute menace, and can make an impenetrable barrier which drowns out any other competing vegetation, but grown and controlled in a domestic situation produces one of our tastiest berries.

Personally I grow a cultivated thornless variety which produces large berries of good flavour, and wouldn't be without it's annual bounty...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2013, 06:33 PM

A lovely crop there Alan sadly blackberries are not to my taste, too sweet and insipid . If it was blackcurrants it would be a different matter

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top