Join for free
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2014, 08:35 AM

Frost Damage.

I noticed this morning that yesterday's frost had caught the foliage on my potatoes. I suppose they will recover eventually.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2014, 08:39 AM

Re: Frost Damage.

We only had two days of light frost this winter so no damage at all. Still not too late though. N'er cast a clout till May is out.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2014, 09:08 AM

Good morning everyone. Nice bit of Yorkshire there EZ
How true.
Covered by hay my few plants have managed to survive.
Today I will put my garden umbrella up on the table. I always
wrap the table up and keep it warm for the Winter but I feel
Spring coming on now and will get my chairs cleaned ready to
put out for the barmy days of Summer. Then I woke up in the
shower
Have a great day everyone and take care.
p.s. no I haven't had a drink - yet
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2014, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I noticed this morning that yesterday's frost had caught the foliage on my potatoes. I suppose they will recover eventually.
Alan you need to cut back the damaged foliage or the potatoes could rot. We learned the hard way when we had our allotment.
Purdy
Yorkshire. UK
Purdy is female  Purdy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2014, 12:23 PM

we've been caught out many a time when we had our allotment with late frosts.
Julie's right trim off the dead stuff.
P
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2014, 02:02 PM

That is a nuisance Alan I hope they recover.
We had a frost here but I don't have any tender plants out yet...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2014, 02:19 PM

I have 1 smallish pots of young camellias and 1 larger tub. I took all the smaller pots into the shed Friday and put a fleece bag over the bigger one.
All the shed ones were safe, but the frost caught the new young leaves of the one under the bag. I've just cut them off this morning.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2014, 02:28 PM

The frost caught the new leaves of my Fatsia and they have turned black and limp ,i expect i will have to cut these stems out Its such a shame that was the last plant i expected to get caught .
Tuppy
South East England
Tuppy is female  Tuppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2014, 06:04 PM

Mother nature is just reminding us that SHE is the boss !

Hopefully they will be fine.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2014, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Alan you need to cut back the damaged foliage or the potatoes could rot. We learned the hard way when we had our allotment.
Oops, better warn the few people at the allotment that suffered blackened leaves the last couple of nights. One chap asked me if I knew about potatoes, and showed me, and sort of answered his own question by saying 'we didn't have a frost last night, did we?' Friday night. But I said, yes, we did.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top