Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2014, 04:20 AM

Re: Lawnmowers.

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I know that there are some DIY geniuses out there so I'm seeking advice. I have a flymo 350 electricity powered hover mower which worked quite well before our holiday but won't work now..........no power keeps coming. What do you suggest ?
Get a proper 4 stroke petrol mower, stop messing about with toys.

Linden Tree
Derbyshire, UK
Linden Tree is female  Linden Tree has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2014, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by lovemyboys ->
Sure beats goats!
If all else fails believe me goats may be a consideration.

Bruce that's looks similar to what I've got, but with the constant stopping to have to empty the grass box and then having to pull to restart it every time, I feel it makes it hardy than it ought to be.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2014, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Linden Tree ->
If all else fails believe me goats may be a consideration.

Bruce that's looks similar to what I've got, but with the constant stopping to have to empty the grass box and then having to pull to restart it every time, I feel it makes it hardy than it ought to be.
I don't use the catcher, I have a shute that replaces it and spreads the grass evenly out the side, never seen the point of collecting grass.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2014, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I don't use the catcher, I have a shute that replaces it and spreads the grass evenly out the side, never seen the point of collecting grass.
My husband agrees with you there.
We tried it. Once. And once only!
3 large dogs constantly going in and out tends to make a bit of a mess on the floors.
And no, the dogs won't be kept outside!
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2014, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I once read an article entitled "teach your lawn to become a cannibal" which advocated leaving the cuttings on the lawn to return to the earth and help feed the grass. As Lovemyboys says it gets trampled back into the house which, for some reason unbeknown to me, displeases "'er indoors".
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2014, 10:59 AM

I couldn't get the cover off the safety switch, the philips screw heads were chewed up
So most likely someone had been 'at it' prior to it comming into your hands.

I see people are saying 'Don't play' with the safety switch, but I have to ask why in our house SWMBO never uses the lawn mowers (Electric or petrol) there are no kids who will come anywhere near, the dog refuses to cut the lawn for me, and like I said I ain't going to stick my hand in the blade when it's plugged in to the power.

Oh I forgot, it might get stolen from my garden shed, and the thief might try to use it and cut his hand off, of my God I am mortified
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2014, 11:04 AM

A hunky female gardener would be nice.
I've got one of those as well Alan, she comes in when we are away for an extended period in SWMBO's summer retreat.

More like curvacious than hunky but dam good at grass cutting and weeding.
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2014, 08:24 AM

Our heavy old petrol mower was getting me having to move it up and down the steps into and out of the shed. Went on eBay last week and bought a used electric 37cm Bosch Rotak only used once for £60, wonderful the way it cuts. Previous owner had bought it for cutting a paddock which it was not the right machine for.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

04-06-2014, 08:55 AM

I once read an article entitled "teach your lawn to become a cannibal" which advocated leaving the cuttings on the lawn to return to the earth and help feed the grass. As Lovemyboys says it gets trampled back into the house which, for some reason unbeknown to me, displeases "'er indoors".
You can buy mulching mowers, I think they have an extra set of blades which really shred the grass finely before ejecting it. Never used one so not entirely sure

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top