Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2014, 11:19 AM

Bumper Crop.

What sits at the side of my backdoor. I've already given loads away to my neighbours and have been thinking of putting them against my gate with a sign saying "Help Yourself" but I am a bit concerned that children might start throwing them over the street.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2014, 11:25 AM

Re: Bumper Crop.

I would try offering them to a shop or market stall for a small amount..or WI,
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2014, 11:27 AM

What about giving them to a food bank in your area?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2014, 11:45 AM

The trouble is, when they come off a tree in the garden there are big ones, little ones, misshapen ones and grubby ones. They would only want the best ones.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2014, 11:52 AM

A lovely crop Alan around here they put them on a table by the gate with an honesty box and some bags .
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2014, 12:19 PM

Or leave them on the ground for when the Field Fares and Blackbirds want them in the winter.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2014, 12:31 PM

Are they cookers Alan? Last year a neighbour let us strip one of her Bramley trees, we wrapped all the good ones individually in newspaper and laid them out on trays in the shed, and they lasted right through until April before we had to compost the last few as they were past their best. I'm hoping she'll offer again this year as they look perfectly ready for picking right now.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK

05-09-2014, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Are they cookers Alan? Last year a neighbour let us strip one of her Bramley trees, we wrapped all the good ones individually in newspaper and laid them out on trays in the shed, and they lasted right through until April before we had to compost the last few as they were past their best. I'm hoping she'll offer again this year as they look perfectly ready for picking right now.
Some are Cox's but the majority are Laxton Superb. I aready have stored as many as I want Barry and I still have my heavily laden Golden Delicious tree which ripens in November.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2014, 04:19 PM

What a lovely crop. How lucky are you!
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2014, 09:24 PM

What a brilliant crop.
I was wondering if you could stew & freeze them?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top