Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2016, 06:40 PM

Re: On your marks, get set, go !

My toms are about 2 inches high now and also seem leggy, but they should stop their upward thrust soon and make their second pair of leaves before the stems start to thicken out.

Luckily we gave a warm utility room with a fair amount of space for plants so we germinate by the boiler and then grow on by the window where it is a little cooler. When the seedlings are a little stronger we will transfer them to the greenhouse and just cover them over at night against any forecast frosts.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2016, 01:18 PM

Lovely day today! Warm and misty! I've been in my little greenhouse watering the February planted seeds which are mostly sprouting and planting the March ones.
I came across my signed copy of Percy Thrower's, " Practical Guide to Roses" (40p!!!) recently, I think I got it when I visited a nursery in Shrewsbury or somewhere up that way, not sure if it was his business or he was visiting.
So time for coffee and a good read!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2016, 08:24 PM

I finally made it into the garden today for the first time this year and had forgotten how exhausting digging is . I doubt I will be able to move tomorrow.

The runner bean bed has had a first dig over, I put a load of compost and horse manure in the bottom last autumn and it has rotted down beautifully

I cut the sad looking top few inches off the garlic and tied in some raspberry canes so a productive day
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2016, 09:17 PM

Cold nights and here heavy clay. It`s a bit like Leeds all those years ago. I just have to wait
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2016, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Lovely day today! Warm and misty!
Don't put the tender's out too soon,so many mist in March,so many frost in May.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2016, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
Cold nights and here heavy clay. It`s a bit like Leeds all those years ago. I just have to wait
Same here in Devon.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2016, 08:58 PM

I have a free pack of tomato seeds, Super Sweet 100, never grown tomatoes before so it will be a learning curve but am going to give them a try.
Can't seem to buy a decent tasting tomato nowadays, wonder where they all went..
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2016, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
I have a free pack of tomato seeds, Super Sweet 100, never grown tomatoes before so it will be a learning curve but am going to give them a try.
Can't seem to buy a decent tasting tomato nowadays, wonder where they all went..

Ooh, they're a lovely tomato they are cranberry. Lovely sweet tasting little cherry. You'll enjoy them, I bet.

I am growing some 'Gardeners Delight' this year and a new one (to me) called 'Sun Cherry.' Not doing any big toms this year.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2016, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Ooh, they're a lovely tomato they are cranberry. Lovely sweet tasting little cherry. You'll enjoy them, I bet.

I am growing some 'Gardeners Delight' this year and a new one (to me) called 'Sun Cherry.' Not doing any big toms this year.
Are they? Good, cos I like a nice tomato but there's so many that are completely tasteless.
My neighbour grows some , not sure which ones, and we are given a few but they really don't taste that good, such a shame because he looks after them so well.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top