Join for free
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2016, 02:16 PM

Onion Sets.

For many years now I have started off my onion sets in a seed tray and not planted them in the garden until they have good roots. By doing this I have avoided having the birds keep pulling them out of the ground. This year I planted them out three weeks ago with good roots firmly fixed in the soil. This morning I was out doing some digging and scanned the onions and they were all in their place and growing well. I came indoors when I finished digging and hadn't been in 30 minutes when Sheila asked me if I'd seen my onions. I said I had and they were OK. She said they they weren't OK as they were strewn over the garden. She was right, in that short period something had pulled out quite a few of them and they were lying all over the place. I can only assume that pigeons had done it as there are lots of them in the area. So much for my clever idea ! B****y pigeons.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2016, 02:39 PM

Re: Onion Sets.

Sounds like the steak and onion pies aren't going to be as tasty this winter then.
eyes_of_a_painter
n
eyes_of_a_painter is male  eyes_of_a_painter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2016, 03:43 PM

I was going to ask you this morning if you struggled with critters invading your garden. Pretty frustrating its hard to combat them
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2016, 04:07 PM

I can certainly relate to that Alan...
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2016, 04:16 PM

Hi

Look on the bright side Alan, wood pigeon tastes nice.

They eat my veg, I eat them.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2016, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Look on the bright side Alan, wood pigeon tastes nice.

They eat my veg, I eat them.
Revenge is sweet eh Swimfeeder !
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2016, 05:33 PM

What a shame, Alan! Do you put netting over them? We now get in the very fine stuff which builders use over scaffolding, (from Amazon) and my stuff managed to grow unhindered last year.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK

04-04-2016, 05:51 PM

I do use wire netting to cover my brassicas Jazzi but I've never had trouble with my onion sets in the past but I will cover them over when I've replanted them in the morning.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2016, 08:19 PM

Oh dear, poor you Alan, how annoying.
Can you save the plants and re plant them or are they too damaged?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK

04-04-2016, 08:23 PM

They can be reset and will be OK but it will set them back a bit.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top