Join for free
Page 13 of 14 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2021, 10:26 AM

Re: Our way of life ending

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
I'm currently sat in the timber cabin at the bottom of the garden. Looking out of the window, I see and hear a distinct lack of wildlife/insects but put this partly down to the time of year. Not sure why there are so few birds around.

Then I look at the back of my house. The doors and windows are upvc, which I doubt will be able to be re-purposed when they eventually either fail or the house gets pulled down. Can't be sure, but suspect that their manufacture will have involved having to burn something plus the use of some noxious chemicals. Clearly, the glass will have required a fire of some sort. The bricks and roof tiles will have required burning something in their manufacture. The cement used for concrete and mortar definitely involves burning something - I could quote figures but this wouldn't be in the spirit you asked for.

The noise of a car goes past, and I'm pretty certain that these will have required something to be burnt during the process of making them, either to melt the metal or to create the electricity needed. The car probably burns a fuel to keep it on motion.

Last night, someone obviously had a barbecue and I'm reminded that most foodstuff that I eat will have involved burning something. I estimate that the barbecue was a hundred yards away, and yet the smell of it was noticed by me, and I reflect on the argument made that "we" only occupy 1% of the planet and that this presumably implies that 99% will not be affected by us. Observable nonsense.

I recall how every year around the start of Novemeber, there is usually a morning after the night before where the air is hazy and whiffy of bonfires and firework chemicals. I reflect that the amount of stuff "we" burn 24/7, 365 days of the year, is way more than this, and yet the argument is that this is miniscule.

I recall a tragedy around 20 years ago in which the driver of a minibus carrying a family to the airport made a fraction of a second miscalculation, which led to carnage for the family and pretty much gridlock for commuter traffic for hours. And yet, the argument is that our everyday actions is really negligible and won't cause anything catastophic. Seems a foolish gamble.

I could go on, but you get the picture. Observable events, with an attempt to apply logic. I again refer you to my post 45 which, OGF, I notice you haven't made reference to nor try to dispute the reasoning behind it.
Excellent and informative response Dex, thanks for taking the time to reply, and I'm sorry for the lack of response to an earlier post but I was embarking on a new challenge yesterday and couldn't give the forum the attention it deserved....

I don't know why you have a lack of birds etc where you are Dex, they seem to have come to South Yorkshire this spring although there are certain times of the day when it does go quiet. I've noticed that at such times there are usually birds of prey circling high overhead, we get a few Kestrels, Sparrow Hawks and even Red Kites.

You mention uPVC window frames, bricks, cement and roof tiles and the fact that they all required heat. 'Burning Something' you mentioned. If the sun didn't 'Burn something' none of us would be here. Apart from local pollution the sun is totally responsible for our climate and survival. Unfortunately the human race can only survive in small window of temperature, therefore it has been, and always will be, necessary to burn something to keep warm in cold climates and burn something to produce electricity to provide aircon in hot climates.

There are always at least 30 odd active volcanoes burning something and depositing nasty things into the upper atmosphere each day. They make man's burning miniscule by comparison. But even man has so far to date tested over four thousand nuclear devices around the world which again makes our everyday burning of things tiny by comparison. I agree that on bonfire night we produce locally lots of pollution, but how long does it remain before the earth's own cleaning mechanisms have dispersed it.

Burning is an important part of nature, it's natures way of clearing out the dead wood and promoting new growth. There are even certain seeds that lay dormant in the ground until a certain temperature is reached from burning, that sparks life into that seed. Burning changes one form of energy into another, and if you are a man of science you will know that energy is never lost, it just changes it's form.

I think you know why I quoted Newton's third law Dex, but you were quick to show this secondary school educated lad how much more intelligent you are by quoting his first and second laws...
Just in case you didn't catch the link. It was to point out that by trying to affect the climate may bring on unexpected events like in the past when the use of DDT did it's job perfectly, in fact too good, and in Todgers own words 'Made a sterile countryside' fortunately we learned our lesson, but it seemed a good idea at the time....

Wood Dex? Are you not part of the problem sitting in your timber shed? Think of all the timber present in your house and garden, where do you suppose all that came from? Nothing to do with burning but quite unsustainable even though you say it is. I can't find anything in your post that explains about the way the world is being destroyed, perhaps our environment is changing, but not being destroyed is it. You can go out into the country or your garden and breathe fresh clean air, unless you are living in a town centre, in which case it would explain the lack of birds song.

I fail to see where a mini bus accident has anything to do with man made climate change Dex?
Sometimes being too logical takes your eye off the ball and the bigger picture...You fail to believe the things that you're senses are telling you in the real world. Not everything appears in statistics and links to some website or other, but keeping an open mind is the real wisdom......
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2021, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Nobody is blameless we all have an environmental conscience.
Nope Cinders, the world is my oyster and while I'm residing here I'll make the best of it, just like my forefathers did, and my kids will carry on doing.

Shuffles off to find a mountain to climb....
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2021, 11:54 AM

Thank you for your detailed reply OGF. I'll not quote it to save space.

You cite the sun and volcanoes as big burners. True, but these are "natural" and the world had evolved in accordance within those parameters. I don't think it's entirely "natural" to dig/mine/drill up a load of things and set fire to it and release the chemicals which the world had buried as part of it's evolution.

I use the mini bus example to show how a tiny deviation from a state of equilibrium can produce catastrophic effects. Your own example of DDT is another example of us mucking around with things without thinking through the consequences.

I avoided the wood that my shed is built from since, in deference to your request of avoiding resorting to quoting stats and science, it would have brought up the matter of how much deforestation has taken place across the globe, and a long rant about the problems that this is possibly/probably producing.

We're all of an age when we can remember the smogs. But we're not of an age where we can remember how things were before we started to mess about with things that we don't full understand. So, although I take your point about things looking OK at present, I also kinda guess that the world was a much cleaner and healthier place with a greater diversity of wildlife before we began to rip it apart.

I have a robotic vacuum cleaner. Every night it give the floor of the downstairs a quick once over and need emptying every 2 days. We went away for a weekend recently; when we came back it it hardly had anything in it. You can see where I'm going with this in relation to the "self repairing" argument. The earth may recover, but only if we stop messing it up in the way we are now.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2021, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Do you think the migration patterns have changed because of all the RF waves permeating the earth Donkeyman? I've seen reports that mention dead birds around 5G masts? We know that some animals use the earth's natural magnetic and electrical lines to navigate by.

The only overfishing taking place is in certain areas, again I must remind you how huge the oceans are. Perhaps the fish are wising up and moving out of reach.

I'm no scientist but we take a small snapshot of something happening in the world and suddenly the end is nigh....
No l don't think it's somuch as RF waves OGF, but with land based animals any way it is the fact that human settlements interfere with
migration paths that animals use to follow the seasons from north
to South and vice versa during the year ? We don't see this anymore
in UK because we buggered that up long ago with all the walls and
fences that farmers erect !
You mention that birds are found dead around RF towers and masts
well, that is not surprising as these RF waves are very short waves,
ie,(micro waves) and if you ventured near enough to the transmitter
you would likely die as well ??
We are definitely over fishing as is evident from the fact that the
average size of fish,( both Gamefish and foodstock) is continuually
decreasing and boats are having to travell further to fill their holds ??
For instance along the south coast and up the east coast of Africa
it was common for huge shoals of sardines used to come inshore
at certain beaches such that people could Wade in with buckets etc
and fill carts with fish, this was called the sardine run, and took
place on a yearly basis, not any more though, in recent years it
it is now common to miss a run completely ??
The knock on effects of these changes have yet to reveal themselves

I stand corrected on my reference to Newton's laws of motion
when l called them the laws of mechanics but that was where l
first learnt about them at night school studying mechanics ! LOL!!

Donkeyman! 👍🤗🤗👍
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2021, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
I stand corrected on my reference to Newton's laws of motion
when l called them the laws of mechanics but that was where l
first learnt about them at night school studying mechanics ! LOL!!

Donkeyman! 👍🤗🤗👍
Wouldn't worry about it Dman. Newton wrote them in Latin, so it's probably all a bit of a mistranslation anyway
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2021, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
The rollout of smart meters will ensure that the government will have complete control of your electricity supply.
Only if you allow the meter to connect to whichever 4/5G signal it needs to connect to. Shield it from connecting and your leccie usage will continue as before.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2021, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
Only if you allow the meter to connect to whichever 4/5G signal it needs to connect to. Shield it from connecting and your leccie usage will continue as before.
So what's the point of having one, if you can prevent it from connecting while ensuring your electricity still carries on?
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2021, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Wouldn't worry about it Dman. Newton wrote them in Latin, so it's probably all a bit of a mistranslation anyway
You mean that l was using wrong info when l was busy developing
my rockets Dex, dammit !!
Was that why most of them exploded ??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2021, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
This is interesting. How do you do that if it's preset by the company? Would you still get their low tariffs if you do this? some companies only offer low tariffs if you install a smartmeter.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

01-06-2021, 09:33 PM

The title of this thread should read, " Our way of life MUST end " !!

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔🤔

Page 13 of 14 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top