Join for free
Page 5 of 14 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2021, 10:33 PM

Re: Our way of life ending

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
YES IT IS! That's the point!
But we only have the word of qualified scientists for that, Todger. We should at least give the unqualified, internet misinformation spreading conmen, who are accountable to nobody, a hearing.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2021, 10:40 PM

Quite right, everyone should have a shout.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2021, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Blimey! we actually agree Todger.....

It sure won't continue for the next hundred years, that's for sure....

The rollout of smart meters will ensure that the government will have complete control of your electricity supply.
Actually the two of you are not in agreement at all. But it's funny that you think you are.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2021, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Ciderman ->
"Thanks to everyone who contributes. I’m grateful for all your contributions."
As soon as I saw that I thought 'poor chap he hasn't got any money'
Yes first thing I noticed too, poor impoverished conspiracy theorist, not even two pennies to rub together to buy some tin foil
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2021, 11:57 PM

People just have no concept of how big the world really is Dex. And it's a self cleaning, self restoring system. Any problems that humans have caused are only at a local level being as we only occupy less than 1% of the worlds surface....
The problem with your argument here OGF, is that:

1/. You're suggesting that we're only affecting 1% of the world by our actions, and

2/. You have no idea whether this equilibrium is unstable or not, and hence no idea how much deviation from statis is required before a catastrophic failure ensues.

3/. Presumably, your main argument in support of it being a self cleaning, self restoring planet can be demonstrated by how quickly rivers etc returned to a healthy and happier state during the few months that reduced usage during covid afforded them the chance. Trouble is that it also shows how much we messed them up and that it continues to be us that mess them up, so the opportunity for them to self restore is not available and will never be until we stop messing them up.

My suspicions are that setting fire to things for extremely short term benefit is more likely to lead us to the precipice than not doing so.

I also suggest that one thing that the current covid situation indicates is that one seemingly small thing can lead to a macro effect. Ripping up ecosystems, digging up fossil fuels etc which have taken from thousands to millions of years for the world to evolve "naturally" towards its currect statis is one mighty big gamble.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

30-05-2021, 05:59 AM

There are two things that I worry about when it comes to the planet. Plastic waste and technology and the effects of both on the animal kingdom. The other types of pollution should be self-correcting but if you mess with the natural order of animals you mess with the planet.

https://www.newsweek.com/migratory-b...diation-934830

I also worry about humans going out to mine on the moon and in the polar caps. Some things should not be tampered with.

In terms of the whole online "collaborative" experience that is a huge infringement of human and personal freedom. But one that we have allowed to happen by freely participating. The roll out of smart metres is another infringement that has been sold as something good. We are being herded towards liking these things. With everything stored in the "cloud". People talk about religion controlling people, but high tech is already controlling us more than religion ever did. Won't be long before they have mass chipping the way things are going.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2021, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
But we only have the word of qualified scientists for that, Todger. We should at least give the unqualified, internet misinformation spreading conmen, who are accountable to nobody, a hearing.
Only the qualified scientists that are allowed air time on the MSM Harbal.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2021, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Actually the two of you are not in agreement at all. But it's funny that you think you are.
Yes we are Annie, it's just the reasons why we are being misled and manipulated where we differ.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2021, 07:38 AM

Only the qualified scientists that are allowed air time on the MSM Harbal.
I have heard experts on the "MSM" who go against the consensus, but they are considerably fewer in number. Some would say that the fact that they are fewer in number is evidence that they are being suppressed, but it is far more likely that it is simply because they are fewer in number.

Do you have more confidence in channels of information that are unaccountable and less regulated, Foxy?
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2021, 07:46 AM

How do we make renewable energy sustainable?

All very complicated it seems getting the right balance.

The most important aspect is will it be affordable for everyone.

Page 5 of 14 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top