Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Kitty
London
Kitty is female  Kitty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2012, 12:15 PM

Re: Beef joints what cut do you buy ?

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I am afraid supermarket meat is often poor quality because they are looking for a quick turnover so it is not hung sufficiently well to provide tenderness and flavour. This is where local butchers excel, they give the meat the attention and time it deserves.

I agree with you Meg the only reason i use Sainsburys is because i do find it much better than the other main supermarkets, you do however pay almost double for the best cuts but that doesn't bother e as long as i get good quality meat, i would like to think they supply better than the rest but i may be wrong.

Our local butcher on the other hand from my experience, had failed to supply me with good meat (mainly beef) so i have given up trying, i suppose you get bad butchers and bad ones though.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2012, 02:19 PM

We don't eat much beef these days, in fact, hardly any unless we eat out. I used to go to a farm shop who sold excellent quality beef and get a hindquarter, with the fillet included, and freeze it. Far too much for us these days though, so if we have roast beef at all (and it's always a treat) I usually ask for a piece of fillet or sirloin, from the butcher, cut to whatever thickness I want. A six inch thick piece (which is the minimum to roast, I think) can be seasoned and roasted very quickly. (I also like it pink - red even). We only have it on special occasions (perhaps twice a year) because it is horrendously expensive and we really prefer fishy meals these days to beef.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2012, 04:43 PM

We dont have a joint now there are only two of us,it would last for ever. I do like Brisket done in the slow cooker but we mainly have fish nowadays.We do have M&S beef slices if we want a Sunday dinner, but we dont eat much these days.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2012, 05:34 PM

It used to be brisket for us as well, done in the slow cooker same as Annie, and always bought from the butcher.

I haven't bought a beef joint in a while now, but I will buy the odd pound of braising steak as it lasts me ages.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2012, 07:26 PM

This thread's making me hungry

I always buy top rump or topside too - I have a favourite of the two too... but I can't remember which now
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2012, 09:18 PM

We like Brisket too Mollie, Slow Roasted in the Oven with Roast Potatoes, Peas n Carrots n Corn.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2012, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
We like Brisket too Mollie, Slow Roasted in the Oven with Roast Potatoes, Peas n Carrots n Corn.
Shurrup, you're making me drool as well now!
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2012, 09:22 PM

Ha Ha Ha.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top