Join for free
Page 6 of 10 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 07:20 PM

Re: Holiday Hunger!

All children Boys and Girls should be taught Domestic Science at School, even if it is under another name these days,
Boys think it is quite fun learning how to Cook.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 08:10 PM

I wish I had learnt to cook. I am so bad I can even burn water
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 10:30 PM

I've never been on benefits but I understand that the benefits system has changed greatly. People find it very hard to access the benefits they need because of reforms. People with kids may be on the national minimum wage and they may not have access to the benefits they need, they may not receive enough housing benefit to pay rent. It's not how it used to be. The systems have been made much more difficult. The jobs that pay enough are not there. The support systems are not there. You can't compare it with twenty years ago. In theory there is money there but it's much more difficult to access. A deliberate strategy.

I was walking home from work tonight and I thought, what if there comes a time when there is nobody there to run things. We are moving at breakneck speed towards an automated society. The human touch is fading away.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
All children Boys and Girls should be taught Domestic Science at School, even if it is under another name these days,
Boys think it is quite fun learning how to Cook.
It was called home economics when I was at school. We made pizza, apple pie, cauliflower cheese. But presumably for financial and practical reasons they did not teach us to cook meat, a roast, fish etc. Knowing how to make filo pastry is pretty useless when you're hungry and don't have several hours to spare.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I've never been on benefits but I understand that the benefits system has changed greatly. People find it very hard to access the benefits they need because of reforms. People with kids may be on the national minimum wage and they may not have access to the benefits they need, they may not receive enough housing benefit to pay rent. It's not how it used to be. The systems have been made much more difficult. The jobs that pay enough are not there. The support systems are not there. You can't compare it with twenty years ago. In theory there is money there but it's much more difficult to access. A deliberate strategy.

I was walking home from work tonight and I thought, what if there comes a time when there is nobody there to run things. We are moving at breakneck speed towards an automated society. The human touch is fading away.
The benefits system is failing badly because there are too many feckless and workshy people with their fingers in the pie. Genuine claimants like those who are working but who can't make ends meet are the ones who need the most help.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

27-08-2019, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
The benefits system is failing badly because there are too many feckless and workshy people with their fingers in the pie. Genuine claimants like those who are working but who can't make ends meet are the ones who need the most help.
It's failing because it's a lazy system. The "light touch" approach of the tories is evident. BJ said himself that his answer to problems is vorsprung durch technik. Unfortunately "technik" is only as good as whoever designs it and most of those who commission such services on behalf of the government haven't a clue as to whether it's any good.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 11:40 PM

It's also failing because there's only a finite amount of money in circulation to fund the NHS and the benefits system.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

28-08-2019, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
It's also failing because there's only a finite amount of money in circulation to fund the NHS and the benefits system.
Yet plenty for HS2, Brexit, foreign aid, the Amazon etc etc.....

The system is failing not because of a lack of money but because of a deliberate sabotage to make it harder for those in need to claim. The true poor are an inconvenience to true tories. I'm not a labour voter by the way but what is happening now is disgusting. The next on the list is getting rid of cash. So people will be forced to have a mobile phone, online account etc even if they can't afford it. But if they grumble the government will be able to record their conversation by lip reading technology. Welcome to the future.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2019, 06:43 AM

People will watch programs like the drivel that was on Channel 4 a couple of years back and assume that everyone on benefits is a scrounger.
If you have ever tried to claim any benefit you would realise that it is not easy at all.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2019, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Yet plenty for HS2, Brexit, foreign aid, the Amazon etc etc.....

The system is failing not because of a lack of money but because of a deliberate sabotage to make it harder for those in need to claim. The true poor are an inconvenience to true tories. I'm not a labour voter by the way but what is happening now is disgusting. The next on the list is getting rid of cash. So people will be forced to have a mobile phone, online account etc even if they can't afford it. But if they grumble the government will be able to record their conversation by lip reading technology. Welcome to the future.
Why do you think they want to get rid of cash?

Page 6 of 10 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top