Join for free
Page 6 of 14 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2019, 11:11 AM

Re: Is a No Deal Brexit a Worry?

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Good post Zuludog... And my thoughts exactly.

Now the remainers are complaining about democracy concerning the suspension of parliament, where were they when democracy was ignored following the majority decision of the people of this country in the referendum....
Just get on with it Boris.....
OOPS!
Sorry but it's early in the morning for some of us!

I have altered my post slightly, mainly to put in the corrct identity of the losers!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2019, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
OOPS!
Sorry but it's early in the morning for some of us!

I have altered my post slightly, mainly to put in the corrct identity of the losers!
I did notice the typo Zuludog, and assumed it was a typo, I've been reading some of your other posts and know which side of the fence you are on....
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2019, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
You should not confuse the decision of the EU Referendum, which was to Leave, with the mess, shambles, and confusion that has developed since them

For years some people complained that they wanted to leave the EEC, and these calls gradually increased as it changed to become the EU, but were constantly ignored by all parties

Eventually with the increase in these calls, and the rise in popularity of Nigel Farage and UKIP Cameron decided to do something about it, and hold a referendum - Remain or Leave
We were told that this would be a once in a lifetime decision; that the decision would be taken by the electorate, not the MPs; and 'the government will implement what you decide'
But. of course, that was when Cameron and the rest of the Establishment expected that the result would be to Remain

However the result was a straightforward majority of 1.2M votes to leave, and you would have thought that would be the matter settled. Simple

But no. The situation was best described by one commentator as 'the problem with democracy is that it requires the losing side to accept the result'

And that has been, and still is, the problem
Since the Referendum the losers - Remain - have done everything they can think of to reverse, overthrow, weaken, and generally subvert the majority decision of the biggest exercise in democracy ever held in this country

We always knew that Brexit wouldn't be easy, but it is the Remainers who have turned it into the shambles that it is
If remember correctly, Blair promised 2 x referenda on Europe and managed to drop both of them. Although Farage pushed hard, it was something we , the public had been promised.
Ireland had a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty 2008. It was rejected by 53% to 46% but forced to have a second referendum in 2009, which gave a different result of 67% for against 32% . Considering the same happened in other countries too, one has to wonder if any fiddling went on . Sounds ridiculous, but absolutely nothing would surprise me any longer.
Isn't this what has been expected to happen here in UK , a second referendum,and the reason that the EU have made things so difficult for us with regard Withdrawal Agreement.
Considering Ireland were opposed in their referendum, I'd have thought they would have backed us a bit more, but probably having strings pulled from Brussels . How would they have managed the ' Irish Border' ?
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2019, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
If remember correctly, Blair promised 2 x referenda on Europe and managed to drop both of them. Although Farage pushed hard, it was something we , the public had been promised.
Ireland had a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty 2008. It was rejected by 53% to 46% but forced to have a second referendum in 2009, which gave a different result of 67% for against 32% . Considering the same happened in other countries too, one has to wonder if any fiddling went on . Sounds ridiculous, but absolutely nothing would surprise me any longer.
Isn't this what has been expected to happen here in UK , a second referendum,and the reason that the EU have made things so difficult for us with regard Withdrawal Agreement.
Considering Ireland were opposed in their referendum, I'd have thought they would have backed us a bit more, but probably having strings pulled from Brussels . How would they have managed the ' Irish Border' ?

Denmark were made to vote twice as well.

Check out Leo Varadkar parents - that should give you some idea on jug eared idiots opinion of the UK
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2019, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
I have a feeling since the no vote they manouvered the EU.lovers into place. They had that here until may couldn't get her deal through. It must be a huge worry to them it's not working here. Although the remainers aren't letting it lie yet.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2019, 12:07 PM

We have been round & round this subject before, but I think it's worth a reminder

Cameron was not averse to abusing his position himself
Like spending £9.3M of the taxpayers money to campaign for Remain, or fiddling with the Electoral Register

It is obviously not in the EU's interests to make it easy for any country to leave, since the whole thing is a House of Cards, and several other countries are wobbling, and if it was easy for the UK to leave & be successful outside the EU that would only encourage them

Furthermore in the case of the UK the EU stands to lose a lot of money as there are only about 11 net contributors out of 28, with UK being the second biggest, and it's contribution is worth those of the lowest 19 combined
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2019, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Surely you will agree that, without Cameron's action, the views of the Public would NOT have been sought.
Absolutely true but perhaps it was a question that should not have been asked and certainly not in the way it was. The views of the public are not always good for the country (think in particular the separation of powers) - the point of government is to lead.

If the question had not been asked everybody could have carried on whinging about the EU and lived happily ever after.

To be quite frank it just shows the stupidity of those in charge of the British government at the time. When PM John Howard was pushed to ask the question about whether Australia should become a republic (Howard was a true blue Monarchist), he framed the question in such a way that even the most ardent republican would not vote "Yes".

Is the result (whether it be staying in or leaving the EU) going to be worth the cost in social cohesion and social justice, is it just going to leave broken state?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2019, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Absolutely true but perhaps it was a question that should not have been asked and certainly not in the way it was. The views of the public are not always good for the country (think in particular the separation of powers) - the point of government is to lead.

If the question had not been asked everybody could have carried on whinging about the EU and lived happily ever after.

To be quite frank it just shows the stupidity of those in charge of the British government at the time. When PM John Howard was pushed to ask the question about whether Australia should become a republic (Howard was a true blue Monarchist), he framed the question in such a way that even the most ardent republican would not vote "Yes".

Is the result (whether it be staying in or leaving the EU) going to be worth the cost in social cohesion and social justice, is it just going to leave broken state?
Certainly in this generation Bruce. There is still lots of ill feeling round here about the miners strike back in the eighties, and look what's happened with Hillsborough.....It's still rumbling on. The English have long memories and when they are pissed off about something they tend to dig their heels in and make a stand.

It's worked in our favour in the past, but that same stiff upper lip will keep the brexit situation alive for a very long time yet. Only time will tell what the outcome will be.....If there is one....
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2019, 12:44 PM

Yes, should be a lively week ahead on Tuesday. It will be interesting to see how Theresa May acts when she returns to the back benches. Which way will she vote on the new ruling to stop the suspension of Parliament that the cockroaches are bringing in. She surely cannot be immune to media comments that have called her out as a closet Remainer.

Wonder how the likes of Grieves, Hammond, Gauke, Lee, Stewart and their ilk will react to the news that they will be sacked if they vote against their own party?

I don't know why, but I have this feeling that Boris is playing it exactly how he wants it to be played out. He won't mind losing a no confidence vote, or be unable to take us out on 31st October by being stopped by the cockroaches, because that would give him the justification to say that the only option he has left open to him is to call a general election and suspend Parliament for a GE.

This would no doubt then be known as a people versus parliament election.

John Bercow would be one of the first to be bricking it, because as the Speaker, his constituency, according to tradition, would normally be unopposed, but as he himself has not hesitated to trash the impartiality of the Speakers role in Parliament to stop Brexit, Boris has said they will not hesitate to put up a candidate to run against him.

I'm fine with this tactic on two conditions.

ONe. We leave on 31st Oct as promised, without a deal if the EU won't play ball, and Two. He does not have the GE until after 31st Oct. That way, he will be judged on exactly what he has done for Leavers, and that this is not just to cement his position as Prime Minister with a larger majority.

I certainly would not vote for him in his ''people versus parliament'' GE before 31st Oct when we would have no voting power come the 31st Oct. As I said before, we would be powerless to do anything by then.

If there was a condition Three, it would be to heed Nigel's offer of cooperation with the Brexit Party, which would give him a majority of 84. He would be very foolish to turn this down when he is fighting a GE against the opposition parties of Labour, LimpDems, Greens, Cymru and the SNP.

Oh well, we will see this week what will transpire.

Interesting times ahead. Get your tin helmets on.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2019, 01:22 PM

Is anybody else as angry as I am at these constant attempts to stop the UK leaving the EU?

There was a democratic vote, by the British people, to leave the EU & ever since we have had people tell us that we don't understand things properly, our country will suffer & people constantly trying to brainwash us into changing our minds!

I would just like to say to all the people who are trying to put pressure on us to change our minds....

The majority of British voters chose to leave the EU, so if we made the wrong choice we have nobody to blame but ourselves! If some wanted to remain but didn't vote, it is also their fault because a majority vote wins.
Most people in Britain just want to get on with Brexit because the longer these arguments go on, the harder it will be to overcome the problems it causes.
Even on this forum we are still arguing about it, yet the decision to leave was made on 23 June 2016. Why the hell can't people accept our choice & let us get on with it & keep their personal opinions to themselves.
If we have made a mistake it will be us that suffer, but what I can't understand is why the rest of the world can't accept our decision. The only reason the EU want to keep us in is because we have decided that their club is not one the British choose to belong to...so why aren't they explaining why they are making it so difficult for us to leave?
I suppose we all know the answer to that is money!

Page 6 of 14 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top