Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 01:38 AM

Re: Mobility scooters

I am making sure that no matter what happens in the future I will have the money in the bank to buy one if I need one. I think they are speed limited to 10kph here but apart from that the rider is considered a pedestrian and must obey the road rules that apply to a pedestrian.

One thing I saw in the UK which I have never seen here was one with a trailer attached.

I don't know what the legality of that is but I thought it was a damn good idea. I think I would attempt to couple up my new garden trailer.

The handle separates at that 'box' to reveal a coupling designed for a ride on mower but which could easily be fitted to a scooter.

They have a range of up to 30km which is more that adequate for me to get around my suburb and you are able to take them on buses and public transport as well as into clubs and shops.

Most shopping malls seem to have a few of them available for use by disabled customers. they are a great idea.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	110613 143 Folkestone.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	10655  
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
I agree with you but what I am saying is that you do not have to have a disability badge to use one as a lot of people think The fittest person in the Kingdom can use one if they like.
Not so Ben thank goodness.
Can you imagine the pavements full of mobility scooters.
They would become like little roads
Already pavements are often shared with cycle paths and electric scooters
If you aren’t disabled, you can only drive a mobility scooter if you are demonstrating the vehicle before it’s sold, training a disabled user or taking the vehicle to or from maintenance or repair.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 03:28 AM

On reading more about this Ben it seems that you are right able bodied people are riding them .( even though they are not supposed too )
They get them via the second market and use them as a cheap alternative to a car.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 08:46 AM

I modified a shopping trolly (not a supermarket one) that fitted onto my wife’s one. When not in use, it folded up and held in place with a bungee cord.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
On reading more about this Ben it seems that you are right able bodied people are riding them .( even though they are not supposed too )
They get them via the second market and use them as a cheap alternative to a car.
"Even though they are not supposed to"
What law says you must not drive a mobility scooter unless you are disabled.
Do you have to have either a blue badge or a medical certificate to officially use one?
I have a blue badge. To get this I had to prove my disability and get a certificate signed by my GP. Does this mean that I can legally use a scooter?
Can you be arrested for using a scooter if you do not have either?
Another of those 'laws' that has a big question mark after it like some ancient laws that still exist.
It is still illegal to carry a plank, ladder, wheel or pole along a pavement.
it is still illegal in London to shake a mat or rug outside before 8AM.
And the strangest law of all. It is illegal to die in Parliament.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Not so Ben thank goodness.
Can you imagine the pavements full of mobility scooters.
They would become like little roads
Already pavements are often shared with cycle paths and electric scooters
If you aren’t disabled, you can only drive a mobility scooter if you are demonstrating the vehicle before it’s sold, training a disabled user or taking the vehicle to or from maintenance or repair.
I have to argue with that, Muddy!

Try the UK link:-

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-high...oters-36-to-46

You have to have number plates, and insurance, if you drive along a road.

Not so if you use the pavement or are just crossing a road.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I am making sure that no matter what happens in the future I will have the money in the bank to buy one if I need one. I think they are speed limited to 10kph here but apart from that the rider is considered a pedestrian and must obey the road rules that apply to a pedestrian.

One thing I saw in the UK which I have never seen here was one with a trailer attached.

I don't know what the legality of that is but I thought it was a damn good idea. I think I would attempt to couple up my new garden trailer.

The handle separates at that 'box' to reveal a coupling designed for a ride on mower but which could easily be fitted to a scooter.

They have a range of up to 30km which is more that adequate for me to get around my suburb and you are able to take them on buses and public transport as well as into clubs and shops.

Most shopping malls seem to have a few of them available for use by disabled customers. they are a great idea.

I look forward to seeing your scooter Bruce. No doubt you will have all the essentials on the trailer, speakers, solar panels, water tanks, Sky dish etc...
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->

I look forward to seeing your scooter Bruce. No doubt you will have all the essentials on the trailer, speakers, solar panels, water tanks, Sky dish etc...
Hopefully I won't need a scooter for a long time yet but the photo of my trailer gave me the idea that with the generator on board I could charge it as I drove along and extend its range almost indefinitely while still maintaining it as a mobility scooter.

Anything here driven by a petrol motor needs rego and a licenced rider as kids who fitted mower engines to their push bikes found out to their cost (driving without a licence and driving an unregistered vehicle)
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by bruce ->
hopefully i won't need a scooter for a long time yet but the photo of my trailer gave me the idea that with the generator on board i could charge it as i drove along and extend its range almost indefinitely while still maintaining it as a mobility scooter.

Anything here driven by a petrol motor needs rego and a licenced rider as kids who fitted mower engines to their push bikes found out to their cost (driving without a licence and driving an unregistered vehicle)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top