Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 11:59 AM

Re: Learning a foreign language

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I am not a traveller, more of a home bird me, so have never had any desire to speak another language.
I might feel different if I went lots of places, or were planning to live abroad, or had foreign friends even, but as things are, I'm quite happy with English.

I would never use another language anyway. What would be the point of me yabbering away in Chinese and no one would know what I was talking about?

Years ago at school, I had to do about three years of French, but that's about it.
Well I have been trying my best to teach you to speak Yorkshire in case you come to visit the Dales or the North Yorkshire Moors. No doubt LQ will lend a hand too.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Well I have been trying my best to teach you to speak Yorkshire in case you come to visit the Dales or the North Yorkshire Moors. No doubt LQ will lend a hand too.

Yes Judsy, but you always make it deliberately difficult for me!

I still say, unless you have someone from that country to converse with, or you intend to visit/live/work there, I can't see the point.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 12:11 PM

Yes Judsy, but you always make it deliberately difficult for me!

I still say, unless you have someone from that country to converse with, or you intend to visit/live/work there, I can't see the point.
How about just for the joy of learning, for gaining a new skill, to keep the brain active and alive?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
How about just for the joy of learning, for gaining a new skill, to keep the brain active and alive?

My brain is as good as it's gonna get now, Judsy.
(I can see you holding your head in exasperation).

I do agree about keeping the brain active though, but the subject would need to matter to me.
Foreign languages to me, is like me asking you to get excited about horticulture or animal genetics.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2019, 12:13 PM

I was brought up in a multilingual home and community. At home it was Yiddish, Hebrew, and English pretty much in that order.

My grandparents spoke in Yiddish or Russian and occasionally English.

The result was that what I learned was a very broad vocabulary rather than a particular language or that's how it seemed.

I've found that when encountering a new language, at least as far as surviving is concerned, it's been easier to think of new words for old things worked best. Bugger grammar, at least you can live.

The ONLY language that I could never manage to get past the "bog and breakfast" stage is Portuguese. Don't know why, just couldn't do it.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2019, 09:28 PM

I have tried to learn several languages in my life .
French at school - so I have schoolgirl French .
I also used to speak market Malay and a little Arabic .
But these have faded with time and lack of use.
I am fluent in Spanish and English and spell badly in both languages
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2019, 09:33 PM

I am not a traveller, more of a home bird me, so have never had any desire to speak another language.
I might feel different if I went lots of places, or were planning to live abroad, or had foreign friends even, but as things are, I'm quite happy with English.

I would never use another language anyway. What would be the point of me yabbering away in Chinese and no one would know what I was talking about? Who would I talk to to use my skills?

Years ago at school, I had to do about three years of French, but that's about it.
I find it satisfying and enjoy the challenge, it's become a satisfying hobby for me, I think even if I never used it (although I do when I go to Spain) I'd still carry on learning. I really love the Spanish language, that, French and Italian for me are beautiful sounding languages.

German on the other hand sounds horrible and very abrupt to me.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2019, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I have tried to learn several languages in my life .
French at school - so I have schoolgirl French .
I also used to speak market Malay and a little Arabic .
But these have faded with time and lack of use.
I am fluent in Spanish and English and spell badly in both languages
I'm impressed, I'd so love to be fluent. I can speak a little butI find it easier to write for some reason. The most difficult thing for me is when I try listen to a Spanish person
"yo no entiendo, porque hablan muy rapido"

Soy bien, no? jajaja
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2019, 09:43 PM

Muy bien LQ
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK

15-09-2019, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Muy bien LQ
muchas Gracias Senora

Buenas Noches mi amiga.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top