Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2013, 11:01 AM

Re: Do you try new things or do you stick to the same old meals ?

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
But we all live and learn by our mistakes Karen darlin'.
But it would mean I'd have to then cook something else to replace the horrible thing. Although I can cook (quite well for obvious reasons), it isn't something I enjoy doing.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2013, 11:09 AM

I like trying new recipes, though I'm not as imaginative as I'd like to be.
I haven't found many 'new' ingredients, so (like Daisymay) it's more a case of finding new ways to prepare 'old' things.

Currently, we've got so many vegetables that we're desperately trying to use / store / preserve them.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2013, 11:27 AM

Oh Karen darlin' - give me the ingredients and let me loose in the kitchen and I'm a happy bunny!!!
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2013, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by lavander ->
sounds good Mollie ....let us know how it turns out...
Yep, it turned out brilliant. Making home-made stuffing made all the difference. Can't be doing with that crap in a packet. It was deeeelish!
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2013, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
I like trying new recipes, though I'm not as imaginative as I'd like to be.
I haven't found many 'new' ingredients, so (like Daisymay) it's more a case of finding new ways to prepare 'old' things.

Currently, we've got so many vegetables that we're desperately trying to use / store / preserve them.
Why not make a vegetable soup, or blanch all the vegetables, let them cool, then freeze them for later use?
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2013, 01:43 PM

Now there's a coincidence (well sort of). See I was only thinking the other day how things have changed approps home freezing. My very first home freezer in early '70's came with instructions on the whole 'blanching/freezing palaver, so many mins for boiling then so many for dunking in iced water, and different times for different veggies, used to drive me nuts. We had a huge, and I mean huge garden, and the elderly gentleman next door had a small business selling seedlings so we had a constant supply if wonderful veggi. For instance at that time, the sort of broccoli we get now was known as 'cauli broccoli' and not seen in shops and we had two long rows of it, we had French runner beans (which were purple until cooked), we had mange tout ( also unheard of at the time). All sorts of delish veggies, not to mention two plum, two damson, one eating and one cooking apple tree. Plus gooseberry, raspberry and blackberries. We would supply my parents, my friends parents and her sister with fruit and veg all year. Anyway to get back, we had a load of lovely cauli. and there it was, all cut into florets, and I had to go out, so I shoved into a plastic carrier, tied the handles into a tight knot, squeezed as much air out as I could, and bunged it into the freezer. And it came out perfectly, furthermore it 'cooked' better than the blanched stuff, conclusion, I have never bothered with all that blanching/ chilling palaver since.
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2013, 01:53 PM

Sorry if I have given wrong impression, but am not averse to experimenting or trying new stuff, the fish/pasta dish was an experiment for instance. In fact come to think of it, the only "new" stuff (well to me) I have tried and disliked recently were tofu ( devils own crap that stuff) and bought a tub of that new stuff Ambrosia have been advertising, basically 'tis custard not impressed.

Have to admit to buying a couple of avocado pears with the honest intention of trying one, just to say I had, forgot them and now they are sitting there, in the fridge malevolently glaring at me, black skin and what feels like liquid centre. So unless anyone can suggest otherwise in the bin they go.
daisymay
South Wales Valleys

09-09-2013, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
Yep, it turned out brilliant. Making home-made stuffing made all the difference. Can't be doing with that crap in a packet. It was deeeelish!
Try filling with garlic butter, and maybe open roasting next time, served with new pots and French beans? The ham goes crisp this way.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2013, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Yes Baggy darlin' - I'm adventurous when it comes to food - like all different sorts of meat - I just love all my 'safari' meats my butcher gets for me. Haven't yet tried the ...... dare I say it??? - goat meat but would 'go for it' if offered.
Goats meat is rather tasty, Uncle Joe, and very tender if properly cooked.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2013, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
I'm happy to be adventurous in a restaurant but not in the kitchen, I didn't inherit my mother's love of cooking so I'd be really miffed if I'd put time and effort in and tasted awful.
Now I am more likely to try things out in my kitchen before trying them in a restaurant and risk wasting money. I love to cook - especially for friends. Food always tastes better when shared.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top