Join for free
Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2014, 11:12 PM

Re: Favourite summer drink?

Can't handle gin. When I was in 'Pyle Youth' (rugby) we went out and drank a load of gin and orange. Never been able to look at it since never mind drink the stuff. Disgusterating.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2014, 11:34 PM

I'm a Lambrini gal
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2014, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by lilac ->
I do love gin..Went to Den Haag..had some 15 year old gin..bloody awful..didn't know whether to drink it or dab it behind my ears!!
I have always thought that gin smells like aftershave. Can't drink the stuff.

Can't drink rum either after a rather unfortunate incident (probably similar to MKJs) when I was on a PO training course at Bletchley Park when I was about 16. Aversion training works.

When I was in my late teens and early 20s however I used to drink vodka neat. Funny how your tastes change over time.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2014, 05:47 AM

Nicest pint i had was after climbing Snowden was surprised to see a pub/restaurant at the peak. The pint was superb .

Nicest home made was Onion Brandy, ive never managed to find the recipe, might resurrect my home made brew i did in the 70`s.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2014, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
A little tale: - 31 years ago was out in Siberia (in January). Daytime temperature was -35 o C - it went down further when the sun went down at 3.00pm. Part of what I was doing necessitated a three day ride on the Trans-Siberian railway. In the next compartment to me was a Russian Farmer and his family - he invited me for a drink, pulled out a holdall with several bottles of colourless liquid with no labels on. He poured a large swig in plastic cup and had one for himself - Nostravia - and downed it in one swallow. I did the same. Ten minutes later they peeled me from the ceiling and I was able to whisper again. What I had been drinking was (literally) bath-tub home brew Vodka. It was that strong it would be quite possible to fuel jet engines with it. - Lethal stuff!!!
In Saudi Arabia, if you wanted it you can get hold of home-made alcohol and the easiest one was Siddiqi or Sid as everyone called it.

In it's raw, uncut state it's often 160 proof so you have to cut it one-to-two-parts water, lime cordial and water or you can use Coke or even lemonade if you want.

Even then it's still powerful stuff and we tried it in a Chevrolet pick-up once and it actually ran half a mile before it seized up!

A much nicer drink is Oozo - I tried that out in the bay off Dubai on a Greek freighter - can't remember the trip home at all though.

Likewise Ricard, which is a favoured aniseed Pastis in Marseilles - we had it in the Lucky Strike bar on board a French derrick barge in the Arabian Gulf in the 70s.

Only the French had alcohol offshore - everyone else banned it.

Sneaks up on you Ricard and the French tend to drink it in long, tall glasses packed with ice with beer chasers.

After one particularly heavy evening on Ricard / Beer I went up on deck in the morning with a stonking headache, walked to the end of the barge and jumped in the gulf.

Bit of a shock as I surfaced to find that chef had emptied the food waste bins and the surface at the back of the barge was covered with sea snakes!

Sobers you up pretty quick!

Bruce - Bletchley Park is one-and-a-half miles from where I live!! stevmk2
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2014, 02:54 PM

I go for no added sugar (NAS) soft drinks. Lemonade with lime cordial, or a few squirts of Jif lemon juice, dandelion and burdock, diet coke with lime cordial or lemon, cream soda, bitter lemon, bitter shandy with lime cordial, and also a cranberry something or other from Asda (bitter? I forget) but it's with the mixers.

And always always served with ice cubes. In the case of cream soda, with ice cream too. Yummmmmm.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2014, 03:23 PM

Guzzling a £5 bottle of Tesco Cava was very pleasant last evening in the garden
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2014, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
Guzzling a £5 bottle of Tesco Cava was very pleasant last evening in the garden

'Our' Rachel was 'Brahms' last evening then.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2014, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
'Our' Rachel was 'Brahms' last evening then.
Certainly not ~ I shared it nicely ... ner ner ner

Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top