Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2014, 06:46 PM

Re: Coffee Machines

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I much prefer a straight forward filter machine that makes more than one cup at a time. Not keen on Latte/Cappuccino.
Agreed save the money you would spend on a new fangled machine and instead buy Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee.

Bliss in a cup (or a mug).
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2014, 10:38 PM

I must take out a mortgage VM for Blue Mountain. Anyone tried Viennese Fig coffee?

My Bosch coffee machine is thirty years old, and at the time was the first machine with a gold filter. Threw out the paper ones....
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2014, 11:25 PM

My wife only drinks coffee and I only drink tea.

I'm easily pleased as there are plenty of teas available but my wife loves the kind of coffee we got in Spain and it was always so cheap, unlike over here so we want to get a coffee machine but don't know what to get.

I've only looked at a few and they were tied to their own chosen products in pods that are inserted which seems an expensive way to get a cup of coffee.

We have an old percolator and a press-type one, both of which are long-winded and a bit messy but we really don't know what to go for; the Tassimo looks expensive if you want a decent one.

Anyone got any info? stevmk2
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2014, 09:41 AM

I only ever wanted a machine for the milk frother/steamer. I can make a palatable cup of coffee using instant granules, or Carte Noir, so don't want the expense of the pods.

In Currys/PC World the other day I found an electric milk frother for £20. Just a machine looking like a half flask, with a tiny round metal spiral at the base, which presumably froths the milk when switched on. No, I didn't buy it! Tut, what do you take me for? Lol lol. I used to have a battery operated one...

So, to recap...would it be nonsense to want a machine JUST for the milk steamer part?
FLYBYNIGHT
West Sussex
FLYBYNIGHT is female  FLYBYNIGHT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2014, 10:56 AM

I bought the cheapest Tassimo and am very pleased with it, but yes, the pods are expensive.
I've tried everything, machines, filters, percolators and nothing compares to my late mum's coffee, she used to grind it herself, put in the pot, hot water.. that's it, but it's never worked for me. I blame the water.
The Tassimo is fine...if you like very storng coffee.
FLY
Diamond Lady
South Derbyshire
Diamond Lady is female  Diamond Lady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2014, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I only ever wanted a machine for the milk frother/steamer. I can make a palatable cup of coffee using instant granules, or Carte Noir, so don't want the expense of the pods.

In Currys/PC World the other day I found an electric milk frother for £20. Just a machine looking like a half flask, with a tiny round metal spiral at the base, which presumably froths the milk when switched on. No, I didn't buy it! Tut, what do you take me for? Lol lol. I used to have a battery operated one...

So, to recap...would it be nonsense to want a machine JUST for the milk steamer part?
I'm with Stevmk2's wife - the best coffee is in Spain !!

The next best thing is a Cappuccino for me and I've been making my own for many years, just using the 'froth' nozzle on those enormous coffee machines. As all I wanted was the 'froth' I decided to try various 'froth' makers all of which were a waste of money. In the end I invested a lot of money in a 'froth' maker called a Nespresso and I've never bought a cappuccino coffee (in the UK) since. It evens comes on holiday with me, so that I can start the day on a good note !!

It cost a lot of money, but has saved me a fortune !! I have also found the best skimmed milk to use is from Aldi, perfect froth every time !!

I've just had a look at the Curry's one and for £19.99, if my present one breaks, I'll certainly try the Curry's one first, at that price it looks a bargain!

Buy one Jazzi and let me know if it's any good!
ZsaZsa
Miskolc Hungary
ZsaZsa is female  ZsaZsa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2014, 05:59 PM

I use an espresso coffee maker that I've had for years ... the kind you put water in the bottom and finely ground Italian coffee in the perforated container in the middle then screw on the top and place on the stove. It makes the most superb very strong coffee. One of the secrets of good coffee is to only rinse the interior of the coffee maker ... never scour it!

Generally speaking, in Hungary you can always get a good cup of coffee wherever you go.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2014, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by ZsaZsa ->
I use an espresso coffee maker that I've had for years ... the kind you put water in the bottom and finely ground Italian coffee in the perforated container in the middle then screw on the top and place on the stove. It makes the most superb very strong coffee. One of the secrets of good coffee is to only rinse the interior of the coffee maker ... never scour it!

Generally speaking, in Hungary you can always get a good cup of coffee wherever you go.
That's my sort of coffee! I use the same thing, although I have a filter machine by my bed for ease of use in the morning. I have fond memories of my father's percolator. He never washed it, and put it on the stove each morning, sometimes heating it up again if he hadn't used all the coffee. The 'plop plop' sound has stayed with me, as well as the fresh coffee smell.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2014, 01:43 AM

Stop pissing about. At our age it is all about calories. Wonderful tasting coffee has a lot of cals - black coffee zilch. Keep slim and keep happy is my motto.

Whatever!
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2014, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Those machines are just a kettle by any other name, so save uourself a couple of hundred quid and some space on your worktop by just getting the pods, pour into a cup and fill out of the kettle....simples
We tend to use the Nescafe "Cafe" range of sachets, which we find make a better drink than anything those fancy machines can turn out.
I use the Nescafé sachets too and they're tasty!
I bought a machine a few years ago and spent a fortune trying out different coffees, they don't come cheap and I didn't like any of them!

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top