Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 12:21 PM

A Really Nice Slow Cooker Pork Shoulder Chop Recipe

Afternoon everyone. Rather miserable weather hereabouts yesterday so originally planned dinner of Cheese and Ham omelette with salad didn't seem so appealing. So did this recipe for dinner instead and it came out lovely. Once tipped into the slow cooker, it was great just to forget about it until it was ready to serve.
I served it with creamy mash and green beans.

I was pleased I had defrosted a packet of 6 boneless pork shoulder chops that had been lying in the freezer for about a month but kept putting off defrosting them for just the two of us, then I thought …..well, if I do 2 for he who must obey, 1 for me and chop up the other 3 for the pups for two meals for them, at least they won’t be wasted. Have to say, the pups were licking their own chops after that treat.

However, this recipe is really simple if you wish to do just 2 or three chops. Just cut all the ingredients in half.

6 Shoulder Chops
4 tablespoons soft brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground ginger
125g soy sauce
4 tablespoons ketchup
2 cloves garlic crushed
Salt and pepper to taste

Now, in the recipe it doesn’t say you have to brown the chops first, it says to place them in the slow cooker. But…………..I have always browned meat in a pan for a couple of minutes each side first before placing them in my slow cooker. Habit of knowing they are warm and browned at the start of the slow cooking process I guess. Anyway, it’s entirely up to you. This recipe originally came from a qualified butcher so putting them in without browning first should be perfectly fine.

Just place the chops into your Slow Cooker
place all the combined ingredients over them.
Cook on Low for 6 hours.

Hope you enjoy if you try this. xx

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	3438  
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 12:51 PM

Re: A Really Nice Slow Cooker Pork Shoulder Chop Recipe

Looks and sounds delicious,i would also brown first, lucky pups by the way.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 01:24 PM

I haven't got a slow cooker but can put them in a very slow oven for hours and hours...what temperature d'you reckon?

If slow cooker is 300F then that's about 150C apparently
In old money that would be gas mark2
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 07:53 PM

HI Ruthio, I’ve cooked Shoulder Chops in a casserole dish many times and this is the way I’ve always done them. I brown them in about 2 tablespoons oil in a large frying pan first. I put the heat up to between med/high first and heat the oil, then I cook them on one side for 5 minutes without touching them so they get a nice golden crust on them. Then I flip them over and cook them for another 5 minutes, again without touching them.
Then I transfer them to a small ceramic oven dish,pour the sauce or over them, cover with foil and cook them for 1 hour on 350/180/Gas4/Fan160. After the hour is up I remove the foil, turn the chops over in the dish and cook uncovered for an extra 20 minutes. They have always come out really tender.

Alternatively, if I want to grill pork steaks or boneless shoulder chops on my stove-top grill/griddle tray (or frying pan) I like the chops/steaks to be about ˝ inch thick. I usually just rub the steaks with salt, pepper and herb seasoning, put the pan onto medium/high setting. I cook them for exactly 6 minutes without touching them so a nice golden crust forms. then I flip them and do the same 6 minutes on the other side.(although my lovely local butcher swears by only cooking them for 6 minutes on the first side and then the flip side for just 2 minutes for tender steaks. I then put them on a warm plate to rest for 3 minutes. They have always come out lovely and tender.

+++++ However,, if grilling them for this recipe, I would only grill them for 5 minutes for each side first, then dip the steaks into the sauce, back onto the grill or into the pan and cook for another 1 minute on both sides. Rest for 3 minutes on a warmed plate, cover with foil.

Hope the above helps..
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

21-07-2017, 07:59 PM

Hi Nom, funny how we are set in our ways about browning meat first. LOL. Yes, the pups wolfed their meal down in no time. I always know they are happy after eating because they head for the rug in the utility room and after rubbing their faces all over it, the rug ends up the other side of the room!
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 10:06 PM

Thanks shrops, really helpful

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top