Join for free
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2011, 10:53 AM

Re: Favourite FOREIGN Food?

I guess it comes down to what one means by `foreign`?-they served some kind of curry at my school back in the mid 60`s. I love it all as long as it is good.

Roast beef with horseradish sauce,Thai fusion,pizza in Italy or a seafood platter on the coast of France.

Watch India though-carp made for tourists is awful-but find a family place and dine like a King for the equivalent of a tenner
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2011, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
My favourite has to be chinese, but I don't mind a curry if is very mild. I enjoy the flavours but I could never understand why the chillie heat is necessary, and why it appears to be such a macho thing amongst men. You never seem to hear women bragging about the heat level of their curry...
Plantman, 'hot' curry is not a 'macho' thing - having spent some time in Kerala as a child - am used to 'hot' curry - there is one stronger than Vindaloo - called Phaal and I make my own version of that here for myself.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2011, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Plantman, 'hot' curry is not a 'macho' thing - having spent some time in Kerala as a child - am used to 'hot' curry - there is one stronger than Vindaloo - called Phaal and I make my own version of that here for myself.
Fine Joe, but what's the attraction of "burning the roof of your mouth off" ?
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2011, 01:04 PM

I tend to love all food!!!!
Particular favourites are Indian, Greek and Mexican! Less keen on Chinese and Thai, and love traditional home-cooked English grub - Liver and Bacon, Mince & Taters etc.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2011, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Fine Joe, but what's the attraction of "burning the roof of your mouth off" ?
'Spicy' hot food is de rigeur in a band of countries bordering the Equator right around the world. It is essential in hot climates to keep the liver functioning properly and is also a means of 'sterilising' meat (marinating) in hot spice prior to cooking as a means of preserving the food. Having got used to really 'hot' spicy curries as a child I continue what is now a family tradition.
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2011, 07:03 PM

Ethiopian food is wonderful it was in Tanzania where I ate the food many times and its a sort of around a communal table and its all served on a giant crepe like pancake and the individual portions are tipped onto it and you turn the table around and pick up pieces of meat by tearing off pieces of the crepe.
Manxman
Manchester, UK
Manxman is male  Manxman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2011, 06:45 PM

I enjoy sharing a meal, Spanish Tapas, Greek Meza.

West Indian Vegetables, plantain, sweet potatoe.

Hint for an Indian Curry, try adding a can or half pint of Vimto, just gives a nice fruity back taste.

This is in dispute as both the Manx and the French Canadians claim it as their own, Chips, Cheese & Gravy.

Chicken baked in a casserole with onions, covered in a little white wine and French Mustard. Allow to reduce so enough sauce to serve survives. Had this first down near to Le Manns, in a tiny village.

This I think is from the USA or it should be. Skinned Chicken in a casserole, covered, basted and reduced to a caramelised state with Original Cola.
LazzyHoney
New Member!
usa
LazzyHoney is female 

11-06-2011, 09:12 AM

I like Chinese, Indian spicy food
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2011, 04:44 PM

Chinese, Thai, some Indian (hot curries), Italian....
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

11-06-2011, 05:27 PM

I like most of the chinese dishes but especially the chicken curry with boiled rice.

It probably does not even rank in curry circles as it is generally very mild but hey, I don't give a monkey's, I like to be able to taste it rather than set fire to my innards.

We looked about for some curry powder/sauce so we could make one at home but until recently never found the one that got the taste right.

Wing Yip produce a medium curry paste that is as near as you will get for the TT (takeaway taste).

Sorted and easily pleased, that said I have had a few pies from football stadiums that have not been easy to identify as English, Foreign, or even meat of any sort in a previous life.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top