Join for free
Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2019, 06:43 PM

Re: Vegans V Meat eaters

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I see it as a spoiler.
Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I don't mind a stir fry but it has to be smothered in a sauce, as for lettuce..... well.
So WELL disguised.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2019, 08:31 PM

I am not a vegetarian but I could easily be a veg.nosher. I can eat most things, in particular nuts, but am not very fond of cheese (only the very mild ones). I would not wish to be a vegan because I don't think we have evolved to be vegan.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2019, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Is that really credible??
Assuming UK gallons that is 720 lbs of water for just over one lb of avocados. Clearly, that half a half a kilo does not contain 720 lb of water - that would be nonsensical in the extreme.

In fairness, that's not exactly what they claim. A possibly more credible explanation for the 720 gallons is that it is used for irrigation and the vast majority drains back to the water table for reuse. Other quantities are released from the leaves and evaporate eventually being included in clouds and eventually rainfall.

Sure, the edible fruit contains water. It gets eaten, goes through the digestive process.............I won't go into what happens with that.

The statement
'Did you know it takes 72 gallons of water to grow half a kilo of avocados?' infers that 72 gallons is in some way consumed.

Sensationalist nonsense. Not even worthy of the |DM.

You can decipher it how you want Besoeker, I didn't write the article, just quoted it.
It was written by a knowledgeable veterinary surgeon, not just some snippet in a beauty magazine.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2019, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->

Haha, luv it, Muddy.
Xandra
United Kingdom
Xandra is female  Xandra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2019, 12:09 PM

I've never thought of myself as a vegan, but since childhood I haven't eaten any meat, fish or dairy. I would only eat egg in a cake not as an egg.
The reason is I can't bear the look or smell of such things and I would not be prepared to cook them for others.
But I am average weight have no ailments and do not have bad breath!
So it can't be doing any harm.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2019, 04:02 PM

I've been an ethical vegetarian for almost 30 years.

For me, that choice wasn't heroic, it was the path of least resistance. Nothing on my plate was worth what the animal had to endure to get there.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2019, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
You can decipher it how you want Besoeker, I didn't write the article, just quoted it.
It was written by a knowledgeable veterinary surgeon, not just some snippet in a beauty magazine.
At the very least, it is misleading in the extreme.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2019, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
I've been an ethical vegetarian for almost 30 years.

For me, that choice wasn't heroic, it was the path of least resistance. Nothing on my plate was worth what the animal had to endure to get there.
Killing carrots is more ethical that stunning a cattle beast?
Rhetorical question.

To be clear about this, I have no problem with you or anyone else being a vegan. I just do like a medium rare fillet steak and a nice side salad.

Or a nice bit of poached halibut.......and my dear wife does a brilliant Teriyaki chicken.......
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 06:49 AM

I am going to be an ethical omnivore and only eat vegans.
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 09:11 AM

Sounds a logical move Bruce.
I think what a lot of people don't realise is that nature itself is the most inhumane killer. At least by human hand death is quick, ( this also keeps down lactose levels which badly affect meat flavour). Nature in the wild often sees herbivores being eaten by carnivores before they are even dead and carnivores dying slowly as their teeth and physical abilities fail.

Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top