Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2019, 07:18 AM

Re: Use by date.

Remember the days before sell by/best before by /use by dates?

How did we ever survive....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2019, 07:28 AM

They are rarely 'Use by' dates now they seem to be all "Best Before..." which is not the same thing. Personally I ignore them all.

When my ex left I found a jar of Vegemite at the back of the cupboard with a use by date 12 years before. My kids are still here to prove that the label was totally meaningless.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2019, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
They are rarely 'Use by' dates now they seem to be all "Best Before..." which is not the same thing. Personally I ignore them all.

When my ex left I found a jar of Vegemite at the back of the cupboard with a use by date 12 years before. My kids are still here to prove that the label was totally meaningless.

Common sense rules, Bruce!!
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2019, 07:57 AM

Plenty of "use by" dates here..personally,I wouldn't go over a day...

Best before aren't the same...depends what the best fore is....as some lose their flavours.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2019, 08:01 AM

Maybe so..but use before is there for a reason....like a fresh chicken..fish..
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2019, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
There is no use by date...on my pot of Saxa Salt....I have looked everywhere on the pot....nothing...just how to store.
I don't think salt goes off as such, if you think back, we used to store meat and fish in salt fore months on end. However, table salt does sort of have a shelf life because added ingredients go off. Apparently sea salt lasts forever.
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2019, 09:50 AM

I agree, most salts don't bother to put a best before but I have seen one or two. Salt after all, is made up of a poisonous gas and an unstable metal, enough to put off any bugs that encounter it.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2019, 12:57 PM

Just to show what a load of bollox it is here is my Salt from my cupboard photographed a few minutes ago.

Best before - 3 Nov 2012 - yet here I still am.

I have to say that part of the reason it lasts so long is that I don't like salt much.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010686.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	10250  
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2019, 01:18 PM

I bought this loaf in March and there's nothing wrong with it.

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2019, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I bought this loaf in March and there's nothing wrong with it.

Gawd Dongle, I aint doing Bed & Breakfast at yours.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top