Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2019, 09:32 AM

Re: Gravy...and what else.

Morning Pauline, Morning all.

Gravy with Pie? Well, from someone who cannot make pastry to save her life, we very rarely eat Pies,(apart from fruit pies made using frozen pastry) especially in the warmer months, but when we do, it's usually an individual Pukka Pie, Steak in Ale, which we usually have with baby new potatoes, sliced green beans and carrots, and because there are no juices to make a home-made Gravy, I buy a packet of Shwartz Roast Beef Gravy, which is really tasty. (I buy the Shwartz Pork Gravy for Chops too, and Shwartz Onion Gravy for a Ham Hock). Definitely no Domestic Goddess here!

All for an easy life.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2019, 09:47 AM

I always precook meat and veg going into pies so I use the liquid from that thickened for gravy. I've never tasted pukka pies I notice a lot of folks here buy them.....I remember UJ used to buy them too.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2019, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Are you vegetarian ,LD?..or are you joking?...I never know with you.
Mrs LD is vegetarian and I do the cooking so I tend to make mostly veggie meals for myself because it is easier. I do eat meat such as chicken and the odd bit of bacon but most of the time it's veggie, veggie, veggie. I did make the pie (I bought the pastry) and it was very nice.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2019, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Obviously ..I thought you would have already known that,along with everyone else.
Anyone? Anyone at all?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

19-07-2019, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
These days I don't eat as many pies as I used to but always have plenty of vegetables, usually broccoli, carrots and peas, sometimes Brussels sprouts, but no potatoes. That's my way of cutting down on the 'wrong' foods so if there's pastry then there's no potatoes.

Also, and I have no idea where this came from, but I've always done this – if it's a steak and kidney pie then I have a few drops of vinegar on it! That seems to add a lot of flavour to the pie.

Does anyone else do this?
No Baz but I have added chocolate to chilli con carne. Gives it a nice glossy shine.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

19-07-2019, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I always precook meat and veg going into pies so I use the liquid from that thickened for gravy. I've never tasted pukka pies I notice a lot of folks here buy them.....I remember UJ used to buy them too.
I have never had one either but I understand they are good quality considering they are mass produced.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2019, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
No Baz but I have added chocolate to chilli con carne. Gives it a nice glossy shine.
I thought my added vinegar was bad enough, are you sure you are not kidding on that one LD? What about the taste though? That's not even one I can imagine, not that I like or eat chocolate anyway.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2019, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Certainly.

First melt a little butter in saucepan

Add finely chopped mushrooms of choice - I usually use a mixture of buttons, shiitake and oyster - and saute until brown.

Add finely chopped onion and a clove or two of garlic if liked.

Add a little of the stock from cooking the chicken - or any other stock you prefer - cook for 2 - 3 mins.

Slowly add 2 tablespoons of flour, and a little more stock.

Whisk thoroughly and simmer for about 15 mins

Add a glass of red wine.

To thicken - combine a tablespoon of cornflour with a tablespoon of cold water - slowly add this to the gravy - whisking all the time.

Cook for a couple of minutes - and it is ready.

If you want it really smooth - you can put it through a blender - but I quite like it as it comes!

I will be making that tonight,ST..to go with my chicken sausage and bacon pie...sounds yummy....I will post a pic later.

Just to tease everyone a little.

Thank you ST.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

19-07-2019, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I thought my added vinegar was bad enough, are you sure you are not kidding on that one LD? What about the taste though? That's not even one I can imagine, not that I like or eat chocolate anyway.
I'm serious Baz. It was in a recipe and it was 70% dark chocolate not a KitKat.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2019, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Anyone? Anyone at all?

Well..maybe ...

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top