Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
precious
Brisbane Australia
precious is male  precious has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2019, 09:54 PM

Is mental illness ever used as an excuse for failure or bad Behaviour?

I will ask and answer this question in regard to myself first.
I am a worry wart. High anxiety. Mountains out of molehills kind of guy. I quit teaching because i couldnt handle the stress. I never really learnt good coping skills. I tend to react or over react. At the end of the day I could be so frazzled I was almost suicidal. I turned to alcohol and gambling quite often.
in my opinion I needed help. Psychological help. to build those coping skills. I did turn to exercise and that helped a lot. But still the nagging voice in my head continued.
I quit anyway. And I never found a well paid job again. I have old man regrets now. Im 61. I couldve tried harder. i couldve done this or that.
I think i used my anxiety as an excuse for failure anyway.
precious
Brisbane Australia
precious is male  precious has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2019, 10:06 PM

Re: Is mental illness ever used as an excuse for failure or bad Behaviour?

Might have helped if I turned to God too. No one that i knew took Religion or spirituality seriously in the eightees. worse than now.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2019, 10:17 PM

Anxiety can be disabling. Ironic that it's all part of the survival instinct yet in its extreme form can stop people from doing just that.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2019, 10:18 PM

To be perfectly honest, Precious, you probably did the right thing. No point in carrying on hopelessly trying to make yourself believe you 'will cope '. All that does is manifest itself drive you into the ground, never to re-surface again to a normal life. .
I know a few (young men)who have been unable to cope with the stress of their jobs and subsequently life in general. Sadly, years have passed and they are not much better. It's a lifetime noose that tightens every time a bit of stress returns , but it goes beyond when the confidence has diminished and friends forget about them..

You did right, IMO. Sometimes trying to understand our purpose in life leads to more confusion, but nothing wrong with testing the water were our Lord is concerned. It can lift the cares, pressures and worries of life, mainly because attitude towards others can change and an understanding of how we go wrong can help as guidance to heal our minds.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2019, 10:29 PM

Its a data thing, analysists can only advise if there is a start point to the corruption, and, if the advisors know what the median point is.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2019, 10:36 PM

Considering you have such anxiousness and mental disorders , I think you do exceptionally well . The great things you have going for you which I think more than make up for your other disorders is that you are brave and honest. Since there is still such a social stigma concerning mental disorders many people try and hide them from sheer embarrassment of not being accepted.

I’m sure mental disorders just like physical disorders is used as an excuse for failure in some areas of life and as long as it’s your life you are talking about , I don’t see an issue with it. I have definitely left good paying jobs due to my own mental disorders so can relate and I think it’s a smart move. It shows incredible self awareness and understanding. Many people with similar disorders will get a prescription and keep plugging away working at a job which they end up hating but afraid to leave. You were true to yourself.

Messing up socially and using mental disorders as an excuse with other people is often tolerated and perhaps accepted but should never be used as an excuse for bad behaviour. Everyone should take responsibility of their own behaviour regardless. That’s not to say we aren’t allowed to mess up. It just means we shouldn’t ever use our disorders as an excuse.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2019, 10:55 PM

My response is pretty simple. Everybody is different. We shouldn't confuse character with personality. Mental illness per se is just that - an illness. If you have a bad case of genuine flu, you are immobile. You can't think straight. YOu burn with fever. Your whole body aches and the smell smell of food (in my case) drives you insane. My point is that you can't do a damned thing and you sure can't work. It is not an excuse, it is incapacity. Likewise a genuine mental illness is the same. Your brain is not working properly. This in turn affects your behaviour. There are no excuses involved. It just is what it is. And that is why mental illness can mitigate the consequences of bad behaviour in a legal sense. Having said all that, people have always used mental illness as an excuse for bad behavior. THe task the justice and health system has in a civilised society is to tell the difference between the two and respond accordingly. It's always about balance and reason IMO. What good does it do to be about anything else? YOur personal situation Presh is another thing altogether. YOu are an individual and I would never presume to respond to you in depth because we are not in a clinical environment. All I can say is that you are here and we (I think I can speak for all) are here for you to talk to. As friends And it looks like you have some very good ones here. They speak good sense. THere's nothing more I can add.
precious
Brisbane Australia

16-08-2019, 11:09 PM

wow. ive never received such quality responses on this topic on a forum before. thanks.
the frustrating part is you feel there is unfinished business in your life. There's some untapped talent in old Precious. Maybe hes got something to give the world yet.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2019, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by precious ->
Might have helped if I turned to God too. No one that i knew took Religion or spirituality seriously in the eightees. worse than now.
There is no God precious so don’t worry about that aspect .
It’s sad that so many talented and gifted people are handicapped by anxiety and so never realise their true potential .
Sadly that’s life .
Who was it who said most men live lives of quiet desperation .
precious
Brisbane Australia

16-08-2019, 11:13 PM

Envy. I really envied those othercteachers. They looked so resilient. Like they could teach 24 hours a day. Smiling, cool, unruffled. I develiped an inferiority complex from day 1.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top