Join for free
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 02:00 PM

Holiday Hunger!

It is shocking that in the 21st century some children here in the UK are going hungry during the school holidays as free school meals aren't available.

Our vicar daughter's church provide packed lunches for these children on week days during the holidays. My husband and I provide a donation each holiday to assist with this project. We are so very fortunate we were able to provide for our children adequately so they never went hungry.

Are there any holiday hunger projects in the areas where you live?
Annette
Germany
Annette is female  Annette has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 02:14 PM

Re: Holiday Hunger!

Maybe a daft question: why do the children get hungry? Are their parents to poor to provide food for the family, orare the parents too busy?
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Annette ->
Maybe a daft question: why do the children get hungry? Are their parents to poor to provide food for the family, orare the parents too busy?
The parents are too poor.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
The parents are too poor.
Wot utter rot. When we had kids we struggled with money issues at first. I just worked that bit harder and longer.
These people all they want to get is free handouts, not actually earn and pay their way.

Work is a dirty word to them and something to avoid
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

26-08-2019, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Wot utter rot. When we had kids we struggled with money issues at first. I just worked that bit harder and longer.
These people all they want to get is free handouts, not actually earn and pay their way.

Work is a dirty word to them and something to avoid
For some maybe, but definitely not all.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 02:42 PM

One of the chaps working along side my husband has to use a food bank and during school holidays his children get food packages from the local church. He works a 48 hour week and if he could get an extra job would but it's a tightrope on his own between working more a hours and the cost of more child care while he works. If you are earning NMW and the child care provider charge is £10 an hour you are worse off doing the extra hours.

Anyway I think 48 hours physically demanding job is enough if he did more when would he see his children ?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 02:50 PM

Oh dear working 48 hour week is tough???? crap. when i was 15 years old and an apprentice I had to work the same hours as those who were training me. They worked a 5 day 60 hour week so I had to do the same.

Working 48 hours is peanuts, when we had the kennels we worked far longer sometimes most of the night as well it there was a thunderstorm and the animals needed human company.

It is total BS they can't work longer and harder and can't get friends/relatives on a rota basis to enable them to do it
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 02:52 PM

An interesting topic. But look into the homes of some of these impoverished people.
What do you see. A huge televisione set, Play stations and video games, A packet of fags and beer cans on the table. Bodies covered in tattoos. If they can afford these then they can afford to feed their children.
There are genuine poverty stricken people out there I admit but the fore mentioned are giving them all a bad name and making even the genuine appear to be scroungers.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

26-08-2019, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
An interesting topic. But look into the homes of some of these impoverished people.
What do you see. A huge televisione set, Play stations and video games, A packet of fags and beer cans on the table. Bodies covered in tattoos. If they can afford these then they can afford to feed their children.
There are genuine poverty stricken people out there I admit but the fore mentioned are giving them all a bad name and making even the genuine appear to be scroungers.
well said
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Oh dear working 48 hour week is tough???? crap. when i was 15 years old and an apprentice I had to work the same hours as those who were training me. They worked a 5 day 60 hour week so I had to do the same.

Working 48 hours is peanuts, when we had the kennels we worked far longer sometimes most of the night as well it there was a thunderstorm and the animals needed human company.

It is total BS they can't work longer and harder and can't get friends/relatives on a rota basis to enable them to do it
Where you a single father to three young children ? I pointed out the problem with child care. Not everyone has people they can trust and as we are asked to work older and older the grandparents won't be able to do it either. Times have changed 48 hours is a pretty good number of hours to get these days. My husband always works about 60 but he has me to do the child care and support him. Alone as a parent I don't think he could do that.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top