Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 07:56 PM

buying over the internet

I am wanting to improve my Spanish as I am only a beginner and I have found some software that seems good for me, I downloaded a trial and I like the way they teach it.

It is expensive at $99 but Spanish lessons cost at least £15 per hour so it seems worth it to me.

I almost clicked to buy but I'm worrying about paying over the net. Are these sites that have a lock at the side of the web address really secure?

Should I or shouldn't I.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 08:00 PM

Re: buying over the internet

You could give this a try - free spanish lessons online

https://www.thespanishexperiment.com/learn-spanish

or this

https://www.duolingo.com/
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 08:08 PM

I use Duolingo (Italian) on my Android Tablet - it's free apart from the odd advert after you complete each lesson. The App monitors your progress - all you need to do is complete two lessons every day - and you are rewarded with `Lingots` which can be used to protect your `streak` (the number of continual days you learn the language) just in case you miss a day's lesson.

They also email you a progress report every week and you can use that email to go to their site (posted by Ray C) and learn even more.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
You could give this a try - free spanish lessons online

https://www.thespanishexperiment.com/learn-spanish

or this

https://www.duolingo.com/
Thanks Ray. I've used the free sites but they don't seem to learn me like the one I'm wanting to buy. The teaching method is very good.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 08:23 PM

LQ ... you might want to check it's proper Spanish. Priced in $ it's probably some dodgy South American version.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 08:23 PM

If they accept Pay PayPal then that's the way to go. It's totally secure.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 08:29 PM

Tbh I haven't bought anything in the shops in absolute years. Everything comes to my door from online stores. I have only had two problems both looking back were me not checking places out. Look for reviews not on their site but elsewhere. Third party sites have more honest ones imo
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK

04-09-2019, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I use Duolingo (Italian) on my Android Tablet - it's free apart from the odd advert after you complete each lesson. The App monitors your progress - all you need to do is complete two lessons every day - and you are rewarded with `Lingots` which can be used to protect your `streak` (the number of continual days you learn the language) just in case you miss a day's lesson.

They also email you a progress report every week and you can use that email to go to their site (posted by Ray C) and learn even more.
I used to have Duolingo on my phone but deleted it, I don't remember why. I think I'll download it again, thanks for the reminder our Judd
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK

04-09-2019, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
LQ ... you might want to check it's proper Spanish. Priced in $ it's probably some dodgy South American version.
I know what you mean. I must admit it is an American version but I did like it. The trial I downloaded was Pimsleur, you get lesson 1 free then have to buy it. There is another called Rosetta Stone and I think that one is American too.

Do you know of a proper Spanish one like Pimsleur and R Stone Doody?
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I know what you mean. I must admit it is an American version but I did like it. The trial I downloaded was Pimsleur, you get lesson 1 free then have to buy it. There is another called Rosetta Stone and I think that one is American too.

Do you know of a proper Spanish one like Pimsleur and R Stone Doody?
Nope. Portuguese is my second language, and ... going back to pre-internet days, I found it hard or impossible to find a Portuguese Portuguese//British English dictionary outside Portugal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top