Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2019, 07:08 PM

Dark Nights Drawing In.

Oh dear, the dark nights seem to be drawing in too quickly, don't they? I find now that I am sitting in the front room tapping away on my laptop, and before I realise it, whereas not long ago it was lovely and light outside, now I can no longer see the keys. I'm okay with the letters, it's the full stops, commas, question marks and hyphens I tend to tap the the wrong keys. I am now having to admit defeat and put a table lamp on instead of having the lovely daylight. SOB.

By 8.30pm the night is already drawing in. It's rather depressing, I don't want to put the fire on yet, even though it makes the room much cosier in the dark, I certainly don't want to put the central heating on yet. It's only early September.

I absolutely hate the dark nights. It makes the daylight hours seem so short and means winter is just around the corner.

Do you mind the darker nights?
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2019, 07:15 PM

Re: Dark Nights Drawing In.

Funny you should say this Shropsy, only last night I said to my husband how it had got so dark so early.

I detest dark nights, I suffer with, along with many people, SAD disorder in the winter, it's horrible and makes me feel very miserable. I am seriously thinking of buying one of those lightboxes, anything is worth a try.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2019, 07:30 PM

The arrival of Autumn has seemed very sudden this year - I delay "putting big light on" but reading and writing/typing is becoming increasingly difficult very early in the evening .....
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2019, 07:36 PM

You poor love LQ. If I think it is depressing, I dare not think how bad it must be for you suffering from SAD. That must be awful for you.

Those lightboxes are meant to be very helpfuL, as you say, anything is worth trying to keep you from feeling so depressed. I hope it works for you LQ l
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

11-09-2019, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
The arrival of Autumn has seemed very sudden this year - I delay "puting big light on" but reading and writing/typing becomes increasingly difficult very early in the evening .....
A kindred spirit! it's 7.35pm now and already I'm having to look at my keyboard carefully as I type as it has gone so dark in the room. I will be admitting defeat in another 15 minutes and turn the table lamp on. It's awful. It only seems like yesterday we were sitting out on the deck until 9.30 - 10pm and it was still light after a sunny day. Oh well, I guess we have to get used to it.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2019, 07:45 PM

SG, I have noticed it getting dark early in the last couple of weeks.
Instead of shutting my hens in for the night at 9pm. I now have to do it at 8pm.
When the clocks go back, it will probably be 4pm.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

11-09-2019, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
SG, I have noticed it getting dark early in the last couple of weeks.
Instead of shutting my hens in for the night at 9pm. I now have to do it at 8pm.
When the clocks go back, it will probably be 4pm.

Oh, Crikey Art, I'd forgotten about the clocks going back. Yuk.
It's so silly, I'm sitting here with a sleeveless top on, no fire, no heating as it's very warm still, yet it's pitch black outside now. Why don't they leave our clocks alone and let us have as much daylight as we can. It's dark in the mornings when I get up at 5.30. I have to put the outside light on to let the boys into the garden.

Oh well, it's true what they say about the English. We moan constantly about the weather don't we?
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 12:22 AM

It's the opposite here of course. The daylight hours are getting longer but it's still cold (By Australian standards)windy most days and very dry. So I guess this time of the year our weather is not too much different. Bushfires have been raging in Southern Queensland and Northern New South Wales. Some properties lost but now mostly under control. I think everybody moans about the weather don't they? It's like the old joke about Melbourne. If you don't like the weather there just wait 15 minutes.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 12:25 AM

I hate the dark nights and I am blooming freezing .
I have already had the wood burner going .
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 07:53 AM

I don't mind the dark nights - find them cosy. It is lovely to watch the seasons change.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top