Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 06:46 AM

Learning a foreign language

Has anyone learned a foreign language successfully using Babbel? Can you let me know how you got on - how long it took - how much it cost?

Has anyone used a FREE service to learn a foreign language? If so I'd love to know how it went.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 06:56 AM

Re: Learning a foreign language

I have used Babel and learned words but for conversation i.ve just invested in a Pimsleur software . It was 80 quid but worth every penny as I have already learned quite a lot in only a matter of days.

I m learning Spanish, the method of teaching for me personally is excellent and I ve really impressed myself!.

I looked into tuition but it costs around 20 quid per hour so figured what I paid isn't too bad at all. You get a free 30 minute taster .

What language you wanting to learn?

By the way, our Judd mentioned the app Duolingo, that's quite good and it's free
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 07:08 AM

Thanks Lion Queen. I've tried and tried over the years to learn French and having a few words of other languages for the countries you're visiting would probably be a good idea too...............but I've really found it hard to retain what I learn and I wonder about the 15 minute a day method. Thanks for the suggestions - I may well take up Judd's app Duolingo - will definitely take a look.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Thanks Lion Queen. I've tried and tried over the years to learn French and having a few words of other languages for the countries you're visiting would probably be a good idea too...............but I've really found it hard to retain what I learn and I wonder about the 15 minute a day method. Thanks for the suggestions - I may well take up Judd's app Duolingo - will definitely take a look.
Why don't you try downloading the 30 minute free lesson with Pimsleur, nothing to lose.

I don't know much french even though I learned it in school, I can only remember a little.

Good luck Lindy, let us know how you get on
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 07:39 AM

I tried Babel and it was free, but couldn't get on with it.
Lindyloo
isle of wight

13-09-2019, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
I tried Babel and it was free, but couldn't get on with it.
I thought Babel was pay-for .............maybe there are two versions - with and without adverts!
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 08:30 AM

We have been going to Turkey for many years and I have tried learning Turkish with Babbel and Pimsleur and some other online sites but I get on better with language books.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I have used Babel and learned words but for conversation i.ve just invested in a Pimsleur software . It was 80 quid but worth every penny as I have already learned quite a lot in only a matter of days.

I m learning Spanish, the method of teaching for me personally is excellent and I ve really impressed myself!.

I looked into tuition but it costs around 20 quid per hour so figured what I paid isn't too bad at all. You get a free 30 minute taster .

What language you wanting to learn?

By the way, our Judd mentioned the app Duolingo, that's quite good and it's free
I can vouch for that - it's helping me get my head around Italian. Once you get used to talking backwards like Master Yoda in Star Wars it's pretty much plain sailing.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
There's also an online version here:

https://www.duolingo.com/

You don't need to sign up using a [free] Google/Facebook account, you can just use it as is although having an account helps monitor your progress.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 11:54 AM

I am not a traveller, more of a home bird me, so have never had any desire to speak another language.
I might feel different if I went lots of places, or were planning to live abroad, or had foreign friends even, but as things are, I'm quite happy with English.

I would never use another language anyway. What would be the point of me yabbering away in Chinese and no one would know what I was talking about? Who would I talk to to use my skills?

Years ago at school, I had to do about three years of French, but that's about it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top