Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 04:13 PM

Gravity Blankets

As someone who has terrible time sleeping, bordering on insomnia, I heard about these gravity blankets, being just the ticket for getting you to drop off more easily. There was also a programme on ITV a few weeks ago, hosted by Sian Williams, extolling the virtues of them. I opted for the 60" x 80" which is big enough for a double or kingsize bed. There are two weights, 6.8 kg or 9 kg. I chose the first one. They are really quite heavy, with beads sewed in. The verdict? After a week, yes there is improvement sleepwise, but whether they would be suitable in really hot weather is debatable. Not cheap, mine cost £131, but they can cost more depending on where you shop. This company Koala received very good reviews, so I went with them. Be interesting if other folk have tried them. Koala's website is below. Sweet dreams, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

https://kalmkoala.com/products/koala...SAAEgJ28fD_BwE
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 05:07 PM

Re: Gravity Blankets

Interesting. I thought this was going to be some sort of wind up like Sky hooks or tartan paint. I also have a bit of trouble sleeping so it will be interesting to see how you get on. Mind you, I think £131 would make me pass out anyway.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 07:16 PM

Come on LD, would'nt you want something weighty, lying on top of you in bed!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 08:05 PM

I clicked because I thought it was about our old friend Mr Blobby gravitas, yay!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 10:53 PM

Have never even heard of 'gravity' blankets. Are not all blankets/quilts subject to gravity? Have never seen one floating.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Have never even heard of 'gravity' blankets. Are not all blankets/quilts subject to gravity? Have never seen one floating.

I wondered the same, Tabby.

John, apart from the weight and the horrendous price, how are they different from any other blanket?

If it really helps you sleep, I am glad for you, but it wouldn't work for me as I wouldn't like that weight over me.

Are they washable, or dry clean? Can't imagine getting one washed and dry very easily? Would it even fit into a domestic machine?
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2019, 12:02 AM

I had never heard of them untill I read this thread. I also have trouble sleeping it's midnight now and I'm tired but if I go to bed I'll just toss n turn, then be up again shortly. Not sure how I would feel about one of those blankets, do they replace the duvet, or go on top of it? Or what?
John
Eastleigh Hampshire

14-09-2019, 12:04 AM

Mups, there are two parts, the cover, which is reversible, can be machine washed in cold water. However the blanket, which contains the beads, and therefore all the weight, can only be washed by hand in cold water.It certainly is a strange feeling with the heavy weight on top of you, but strangely comforting. It reminds of of life back in Aberdeen, when we were kids, and the parents slinging loads of coats on the bed, when the cold weather kicked in. Luxury!! Anyway I'm off to sample the delights of having a bed blanket, but not the hospital type!
John
Eastleigh Hampshire

14-09-2019, 12:12 AM

Roxy, I have a sheet under this feller. It's very heavy, but it does stop you physically tossing and turning. It will probably be more effective when the weather is cold, and you just want to snuggle down. Certainly a surreal experience. My wife does not have any problem sleeping, so one is on one's tod in the spare room, trying to achieve the impossible dream. Hope you get some shuteye, nighty night.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2019, 12:44 AM

I've never heard of them either but they seem to be "catching on" - Amazon do lots:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gravity-Bla...07B6S5X8Z?th=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=weighte...ref=nb_sb_noss

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top