Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 10:11 AM

Re: Night owl or morning lark?

I'm an early morning person, up around 6am, big glass of water, let the dog out, say bye to himself and off to the Pool for my lengths.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 10:28 AM

I never go to bed before midnight, as I'm not a great sleeper. Get up at 5.30 am, as me and the wife, drive to our daughters to get her two little girls ready for nursery, as my daughter works full time. Lately, I've been waking up at exactly 1.27am on a regular basis. Some say, that's the time you peg it. mmmmmm.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I am usually up and about by 5:00am and don't go to bed until around Midnight. I do not need more than 5 hours sleep - never have done.
Ditto. I don’t need much sleep either
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 10:38 AM

I seem to need less sleep as I get older so I'm both night own & early bird. Never in bed before midnight - have been known to stay up till 3.00am if I want to finish a good book.

The early bird bit varies but if I wake up at 5.30, I get up. Often it's later though..
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 10:42 AM

Although I love being up very early, I am more of a night owl. When I was younger, i would never sleep before 2am even though I had work the next day. These days we tend to go to bed at about 11.30 but it always takes me ages to go off.

My most active time mentally is around 7pm.
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 03:04 PM

Put me in the night owl category....I hate to give up the day. I'm asleep two minutes after the light is out, about midnight. I sleep my eight hours, then up again. No naps at all during the day, though. Well rested, that's me.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 03:57 PM

I go to bed around midnight. Don't sleep well, I suffer from indigestion, even with pills to stop it, usually wake 2/3 times, sometimes needing the loo. Get back into bed after the last loo stop & then don't wake til 9 a.m. Unless I need to get up early, then I rely on my Daughter ringing me 3/4 of an hour before she fetches me. So some days I only get 4/5 hours sleep.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 09:49 PM

Thanks everybody for your interesting posts in response. It seems that many on here are having less than the usually recommended eight hours' sleep so are up and about early in the morning.

Also as is often said it seems we need less hours' sleep as we get older. Very few are turning early enough to get eight hours' sleep and are up and about at what would be a usual time in the morning.

Personally I reckon I am a night owl at times and a morning lark at others. Sometimes I seem to be a mixture of both and that's all thanks to working permanent night shifts for a couple of decades. Today for example, when I started this thread, I had turned in early to get a good sleep but was awake again at 02.30am, two hours' later I went back to bed and slept for four hours. All in all I had eight hours' sleep but in two shifts.

My body can no longer tell the time, it just doesn't know when to sleep as the circadian rhythm I should have is non-existent so I just do what I feel my body is telling me!
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 09:55 PM

I'm a night owl, always have been. I keep saying to my husband "I'm off to bed early tonight as I'm tired" yet it never happens because I seem to come alive in the late evening.

I don't have to be up early as I don't start work until 10am and didn't get up until about 8.30am but I'm finding lately I'm feeling wide awake at 4am and struggling to get back to sleep. I think it maybe because I'm worrying about my husband losing his job and being out of work.

I usually nod back off probably about 7am then when it's time to get up I'm knackered and struggle to wake which I don't understand. How come at 4am I'm wide awake then at 7am I'm tired out
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I'm a night owl, always have been. I keep saying to my husband "I'm off to bed early tonight as I'm tired" yet it never happens because I seem to come alive in the late evening.
I am mostly a night owl, mainly due to working regular long hours at night for a couple of decades. The work was very mentally draining, I was mentally exhausted after each shift so slept very well.

I don't have to be up early as I don't start work until 10am and didn't get up until about 8.30am but I'm finding lately I'm feeling wide awake at 4am and struggling to get back to sleep. I think it maybe because I'm worrying about my husband losing his job and being out of work.
Being retired it matters not very much when I sleep. Having things on your mind and worrying is definitely not good for sleeping properly and it's not easy to change that. Maybe trying to ensure you are not thinking too much of your worries of the day when getting ready to sleep might help. Not easy I know but reading for a while may take your mind off the worries and induce sleep.

I usually nod back off probably about 7am then when it's time to get up I'm knackered and struggle to wake which I don't understand. How come at 4am I'm wide awake then at 7am I'm tired out
During a proper nights' sleep we experience different levels of sleep which are necessary to give our bodies the correct way to recover from whatever we did during the daylight hours. Having broken sleep does not give the right type of levels of sleep which is possibly why you are wide awake when you should be tired and then tired when you want to be awake – we are very complicated beings!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top