Join for free
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Elbee
Chichester
Elbee is male  Elbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2013, 02:05 PM

Re: Catholics under pressure?

How can a religion, any religion, preach one thing and then sexually abuse children.
So much for men of God.
"Is the Pope a Catholic?" No he is a German!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2013, 02:46 PM

We are all men of God, but he gave us free will, these men have used their power badly, they chose to do so. Doesn't mean religion or God is bad just that these men are hypocrites.
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2013, 03:15 PM

Yes Julie, but the Establishment covered up the wrongdoings.

It's the Establishment of the Roman Catholic Church I'm beefing about.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2013, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
The stricter the moral code a religion purports to impose, the more scope there is for hypocrisy. Just look at the appalling child abuse cases recently involving organised gangs of Muslims as well as the ongoing catholic scandals both historic and current. These religions are outdated relics of mediaeval ignorance and it is time they were consigned to history.
Agreed.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2013, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Brandykins ->
The RC church hasn't moved on with the times we live in. My late Mum, who was a Catholic but changed her religion when she married my late Dad, always said it was a "dictatorship".

Priests should be allowed to marry - it isn't natural for the priests to be celebate all their lives.

That's my opinion though!
Priests used to marry and they lived in mixed communes with their families. From the reading I've done (mainly Ireland in the 6th Century), the problem arose when divorce happened and the wives were entitled to take half of what the couple had (Brehon laws were far more advanced and fair) and that led to the Church losing valuable items so it followed that no more marriage and that put an end to financial settlements following divorce.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2013, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Being religious does not necessarily mean you're a good person .......and vice-versa.
As the joke goes: sitting in church no more makes you a Christian than standing in a garage makes you a car.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

04-03-2013, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
We are all men of God, but he gave us free will, these men have used their power badly, they chose to do so. Doesn't mean religion or God is bad just that these men are hypocrites.
I would agree with you - the concept of religion could be such a good thing but man, I'm afraid, corrupted it and turned it to his own benefit above all else and, sadly, they always have.
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2013, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
I would agree with you - the concept of religion could be such a good thing but man, I'm afraid, corrupted it and turned it to his own benefit above all else and, sadly, they always have.
So are you speaking for all the people who are Christians?
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2013, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
As the joke goes: sitting in church no more makes you a Christian than standing in a garage makes you a car.
Neither does sitting in the cinema make you a film star.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

05-03-2013, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Gabi ->
So are you speaking for all the people who are Christians?
No, I thought we were discussing the concept of religion and how it got to where it has. History shows that corruption came from those in charge (which I think I've stated) who used their power and influence to set a trend of subservience amongst the 'common man' - a trend that still plays out today. The ordinary Christian in the street (so to speak) has little influence over the way society is organised and run.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top