Join for free
Page 10 of 10 « First < 8 9 10
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2013, 10:46 AM

Re: Nurses.

Originally Posted by Cookiecate ->
Thank you ben-varrey for giving me a chuckle in the midst of this discussion. I have never heard or seen the comment 'wind your neck in' but it is brilliant next time my special someone is 'having a go' because I didn't do it right I now have the supreme retort. 'wind your neck in' thanks again.
Glad I could give you a chuckle Cookie My mother is a master of putdowns (but she would frown on that one, considering it to be very common sounding ) so not very much can get under my skin now
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

03-04-2013, 10:50 AM

my health service is OZ - we are at the moment ahead of the first world countries in everything! Never been to the island actually but I would imagine being independent it is able to self-manage and remain aloof of the internal machinations of the fragmented NHS [or can I not call it that any longer?]
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2013, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by mindbender ->
my health service is OZ - we are at the moment ahead of the first world countries in everything! Never been to the island actually but I would imagine being independent it is able to self-manage and remain aloof of the internal machinations of the fragmented NHS [or can I not call it that any longer?]
Yes, the Island is kind of independent and manages its own finances but with a very limited budget (there's only around 75,000 people living here). I think the correct term now (as used by UK politicians) is National Health - they seem to be dropping the word 'Service' from the title
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

03-04-2013, 10:59 AM

my health service is OZ - we are at the moment ahead of the first world countries in everything!
One thing I meant to ask you about Australian Health Service: my brother has lived in Perth for about 40 years and when he visits my mother, he stocks up on medicines in the UK as, he says, they are so much cheaper to buy there than Australia. Then, on the other hand, he says as much as he'd love to move back to the UK, his standard of living would fall too much! Puzzling ...
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2013, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by SOUL DJ ->
PHEW! Well I don't know of any Nurses or Midwives who get their time back unless they are quite high in the hierarchy; they don't have the time!
Yes there are some who sit around chatting and don't give basic care and yes there are those who say, 'Not my patient!!'
Boxes!!! Try forms, sheets of papers, computer...so much admin that when do you care; this is a huge problem!!!
We have Health Support Workers; some good, some not so good!
On the whole I have little faith in the NHS or those that work in it however there are exceptions and I just wish we had more of those special human beings.

Interesting. I have worked with many nurses over the years and they always entered their extra time in the lieu book, and could then take the time off in lieu. If anything, in my experience, it was the senior nurses who were less likely to take the time off in lieu, but the more juniour ones always managed to.
It seems that does not apply in your area, so maybe there is still a region where goodwill is in play. But no doubt the government will soon destroy that!
Sadly, I guess all institutions are now saddled with a huge amount of largely meaningless paperwork, and many professions are so overtaken with this that it is hard to enjoy the job any more. Nursing is one of those professions, and there are many more.
I can't see it getting any better, and wonder what sort of care will be possible in future years.
As for not having any faith in the NHS or those who work in it, I can see why you say that but I don't think you can blame the NHS or its staff. If it weren't a political football, I'm sure it would function a lot better than it now does.
SOUL DJ
Hants. UK
SOUL DJ is female  SOUL DJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2013, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
The machines were put in place to raise patient safety and to assist the nurses. I went into labour at 6 and a half months and had two nurses sitting at my bedside listening with a horn thing to my baby's heartbeat - that would now be done by a machine. In fact there is no significant evidence that supports increased safety only a higher section rate. Following surgery, when I started to slip into a coma, I again had two nurses sitting with me all night - now I would be hooked up to a machine that would do the watching.

I see the nurses every day on the wards and can say, quite categorically, that they do not spend an inordinate amount of time on the computer or form filling - yes they do it but most of their time is on the wards. Maybe our hospitals are just more efficient.
The horn thing is a Pinards and according to Nice Guidelines we are advised to use them when we doubt the machine; that says a lot about the machines.
I appreciate that each hospital may differ however in my profession at my Unit, each and every Midwife will tell you that the paperwork outweighs time to care. Indeed we have a project underway in the whole Trust (Nurses included)called 'Time to Care'. This project is advising on our we can make this time.
I also know that some simply don't care!

mindbender
mindbender is male 

03-04-2013, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
One thing I meant to ask you about Australian Health Service: my brother has lived in Perth for about 40 years and when he visits my mother, he stocks up on medicines in the UK as, he says, they are so much cheaper to buy there than Australia. Then, on the other hand, he says as much as he'd love to move back to the UK, his standard of living would fall too much! Puzzling ...
I too once lived in Perth for 24 yrs and now enjoy the tranquility of seaside Broome. Yes things can be expensive; we are a small popn 22 million compared to UIK 65 million so certain items there will always be cheaper - but overall the life style is so much better - the weather for a start and wide open spaces everywhere that opens the mind. We just enjoy the lifestyle and are prepared to pay the higher prices for certain items.

houses in broome are about on average $A600 000 with a pool and that is luxury supreme. My grocery bill in the equivalent of Sainsbury would be approx $120 a week - and prices in the Eastern States are higher than here in the west.

I have been back to UK once in 32 yrs and enjoyed catching up but could only live say in Cornwall or Devon or the Lake District if I had enough funds! and I would probably still miss the ozzie weather
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

06-04-2013, 10:15 AM

I too once lived in Perth for 24 yrs and now enjoy the tranquility of seaside Broome. Yes things can be expensive; we are a small popn 22 million compared to UIK 65 million so certain items there will always be cheaper - but overall the life style is so much better - the weather for a start and wide open spaces everywhere that opens the mind. We just enjoy the lifestyle and are prepared to pay the higher prices for certain items.
I had heard that Australia has more acreage per head of population than anywhere else in the world - is that true?

houses in broome are about on average $A600 000 with a pool and that is luxury supreme. My grocery bill in the equivalent of Sainsbury would be approx $120 a week - and prices in the Eastern States are higher than here in the west.
That's one thing I do miss - we have a house in Spain (pre-separation I had access to it) and I do miss the pool and the weather to jump in early morning so I understand your feelings regarding the weather. The Island enjoys being in the Gulf stream which prevents our winters from being too harsh.

I have been back to UK once in 32 yrs and enjoyed catching up but could only live say in Cornwall or Devon or the Lake District if I had enough funds! and I would probably still miss the ozzie weather
You sound like my brother He and my sister-in-law would always get their teeth seen to here as well - is Australia like the US and you need to have health insurance? My niece qualified as a nurse and promptly moved to London! Why I'll never know - giving up that lovely location for a built up city, puzzling.
mindbender
mindbender is male 

06-04-2013, 02:48 PM

I had heard that Australia has more acreage per head of population than anywhere else in the world - is that true?
probably you don't expect me to check do you?

is Australia like the US and you need to have health insurance?
you can survive without one but it does give you extra hospital luxury if you have one!

Page 10 of 10 « First < 8 9 10

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top