Join for free
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
SOUL DJ
Hants. UK
SOUL DJ is female  SOUL DJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2013, 08:46 AM

Re: Nurses.

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
Compassion and understanding are very important though surely.

You are quite right, I would have thought every one is an important link.
Hi mesco, In my life compassion and understanding are key in all life, without either the world is a sad place however my personal and professional life have revealed many who lack both.

And again, too many professionals look down on others forgetting we are all important and special.

BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2013, 09:31 AM

I havent been in hospital for decades myself but my Daughter in Law has. When I visited her I was amazed to see alot of the younger nurses with false nails. I can imagine that would put alot of young nurses off doing the
main pulling, lifting and bed pan side of nursing. You cant be a fashion queen and also do a manuel job like nursing is supposed to be. Society has a lack of empathy and love nowadays. The second war society I was brought up in, where everyone knew each other and there were not that many immigrants in the community, has changed the way younger people think. Its the ME society and not the me, you and barney mcgrew time.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

27-03-2013, 10:21 AM

Another knock the immigrants thread!

Many immigrants have come to this country to do jobs that the native Brits don't want to do!
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2013, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Willow ->
Another knock the immigrants thread!

Many immigrants have come to this country to do jobs that the native Brits don't want to do!
That may have been the case back in the '60's, but it is very different now. Mass immigration has been used as a deliberate ploy to drive down wages and impoverish the working class since the '70's.
It is quite ironic that if, for example, a muslim expresses the desire to have a muslim doctor or nurse because they better understand his/her cultural requirements, that is regarded as quite a reasonable request. If an indigenous British person asks for the same thing, they are immediately demonised as racist and anti-immigrant. We live in very strange times.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

27-03-2013, 12:45 PM

When the shiftless workshy scum who abuse the benefit system are prepared to work as hard as most immigrants they might have something to complain about!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2013, 01:38 PM

Even immigrants where I work are worried and dsigusted at how we are letting so many people in - when the immigrants can see it's wrong I tend to believe they could well be right.

And if we had less immigrants doing these jobs we would be able to say to people without jobs here is a job for you, at the moment there are not enough jobs to go round.

Most countries pick and chose who they will let in - as an office cleaner I can't just go to Australia or America they would laugh in my face they have enough people to do those jobs but here I am fighting for work against a huge immigrant population who have been allowed in and take the lowest paid jobs I have always done.

Drive down wages too in these sectors.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2013, 01:46 PM

Immigrants have done a lot of good for this country, I love different cultures mixing. But - it has got way outa hand, far too many for this small country, not their fault entirely, mostly the Government for allowing the influx in the first place and then, not nipping it in the bud !
Its 'crazy' - the way this country has gone, lack of jobs and housing...Grrrr
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2013, 02:20 PM

For Willow:

In my little cul-de-sac of 8 houses here in West London, we have three white English-born families, one settled Romany family, two Indian families, one Pakistani family and one Nigerian family. We all get on incredibly well. When we moved in here 18 years ago, every household was White British. Apart from my family, all the others have a breadwinner (or breadwinners) who are working (I'm retired). In our whole estate of some 150 households, about 20 exist solely on benefits, and they are almost exclusively Somali (although many of the Somali husbands work in the black economy and don't declare their income). Of course there are some lazy people claiming benefits, but certainly in my experience they are a tiny minority of the total number. Most are on benefits simply because there are very few jobs around and most of those seem at present to be snapped up by Polish workers at very low rates of pay.
In our area the people I hear complaining the loudest about immigration are those, like my next door neighbour, who are longterm immigrants themselves.
I think there is a world of difference between blaming immigration for some of our problems, and blaming immigrants. The bottom line is simply that we are a very small country with a huge (and growing) population. We have neither the housing nor the infrastructure (health services, education etc) to cope with future influxes (like that expected in January from Romania and Bulgaria).
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2013, 02:20 PM

NURSES !! Having spent a short period in Hospital for a Hip Op. I was disgusted to see how I , and more so some older patients were treated by the ward staff, they were untidy, and all had the couldn't care less attitude, and gave the impression that the patients were all without any intelligence.
urine , bottles not emptied unless you really got annoyed with the staff, food constantly put out of teach of patients, then just taken away if not eaten, no thought to ask the patient why they hadn't eaten the food.requests by patients to go to toilet , were treated with amusement by the staff, to the embarrassment of the patient. Nurses walking down the ward drinking out of a Coca cola can,eating food then not washing hands when dealing with patients. I was only there four days, but after a major operation, not once did anyone inspect the wound or put clean dressing on. We complained in writing to the Hospital, and got an apology , we were not satisfied so asked for a meeting. At that meeting the staff denied many of the things that both i and my wife had seen and hospital administrators said " surely this did not happen". I now wish we had gone father with our complaints, as I now see and hear so many complaints of a similar nature.
So many of the young people that go into things like nursing that require a caring nature, which cannot be taught, just treat it as another job and seem to expect that they will give medication, check B P etc, etc and spend the rest of the time waiting for the shift to end.
The U K needs the re-introduction of the Matron, with the powers to suspend or even fire those that cannot or will not do the job properly. I doubt whether this will happen, as there would be too many cries of " Its not fair" or too much constraint put on the Matron by the ridiculous Health and safety brigade.
Now I also have to say the there are a LOT of very caring Nurses out there
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2013, 02:23 PM

Having had my Mum in hospital many months in and out and observing. It seems they could do with an army of toileters. The nurses who are trying to do a job constantly being called upon, to provide this service, the poor patient having to hang on to the point of desperation, it takes so long to be seen to, and then of course some patients need 2 carers to attend to this need, meaning nurses have to wait for another helper to become available.

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top