Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

30-03-2013, 07:38 PM

alzheimers

I'd be interested in what people thought of thishttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...es-mirror.html

.....and why!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2013, 07:49 PM

Re: alzheimers

Its a sad yet thought provoking piece of art. I love portrait photography, but I find this upsetting.. I have mixed emotions on this...
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2013, 07:52 PM

Sad. What do you think Davo?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2013, 08:16 PM

It's the photographer's take on what it's like to have the condition.....not necessarily the true picture.
mindbender
mindbender is male 

30-03-2013, 08:37 PM

I'll comment later as I have a dear friend who is caring for his wife with this condition, But I'll give you a hint - I was wondering what this project could off the carers?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2013, 10:47 PM

The photographs are very good as far as artwork goes, although the pictures could have easily been simply older people remembering what they looked like and what they were when they were younger and in their prime. I saw nothing to indicate that the older people were alzheimer sufferers.
Did I understand that the photographs are to be used by a pharmaceutical company as part of an advertising campaign for a "patch" which may help slow down the disease?
I am not sure what the photographs will do for alzheimers sufferers or what they will actually do to promote awareness in non sufferers and/or carers. I am also not sure that alzheimer sufferers do just see/remember themselves as they were when they were younger and not suffering from the disease.
I do believe it is important for everyone to realise and remember that people who do develop alzheimers come from all walks of life and were once people with jobs and living independent lives. Just like the majority of us they have had useful and productive roles before the devastation of their illness took hold. Maybe some people will look at the photographs and realise - there but for the grace ....... I think most people understand that alzhemers is adevasting degenerative disease which has complex and profound affects on the whole person and on those who love and struggle to care for them. In reality there is no coming back - even with a patch.
Therefore, I think I will regard the pictures as part of an advertising campaign for a drug company.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2013, 11:09 PM

I too wondered if alzheimer sufferers, when looking in a mirror, saw only a young person looking back.
I think Alan is right - It's the photographer's take on what it's like to have the condition.....not necessarily the true picture.
I can't see these photos helping anyone, for advertisements for a drug or just showing the general public, for awareness of the condition.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2013, 01:39 AM

I actually enjoyed looking at those and don't find them sad at all. The expressions on those photographed look wistful and nostalgic to me. We have a history of dementia and Alzheimers in our family. It's sad when your grandmother no longer remembers who you are though. Harder on those who love and care for the one whose memory is affected.

Edited: I have a fear of losing my memory to this point. On the other hand, if I'm content and I keep cherished memories of younger days, will that be so bad?
mindbender
mindbender is male 

31-03-2013, 02:03 AM

To make it more personal - how about if a photographer from a company approached you and you had a grandfather/mother or father/mother with alzheimers and they wanted to photograph him looking at a blown up picture of himself when he was much younger and they explained that there would be a fee for services - how would you respond?
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2013, 02:08 AM

I don't understand the fee. Meaning the photographer was charging to take the photo, or reimbursing the person being photographed?

I think my grandmother would have gone along with it and I would cherish such a photo.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top