Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

31-03-2013, 07:49 AM

Re: alzheimers

reimbursing - but they didn't use a photo of the elder person when young they got an actor to do it - so your grandmother wouldn't be looking at a younger version of herself but someone else - what is the point of the exercise - advertising at your grandmothers expense [non-currency]

you need to re-read the original story at the beginning of the thread. To me it's a big con and I find it all quite repulsive. the whole point of the exercise is not to benefit the people but to advertise a 'patch' to prevent dementia - have you seen the scientific evidence of such research yet - I haven't
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

31-03-2013, 11:48 AM

It is bad enough being physically disabled as you get older, but in my opinion losing your mind is fate much worse than death!
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2013, 12:27 PM

I think the photos say more about the "young" photographers'/PR peoples' idea of old age and alzheimers than they do about the reality of either.
I think most of us, as we get older, are only too aware of the ageing process and when we look in the mirror we see ourselves as we are, not as we would wish to be.
Whether Alzheimers sufferers tend to look at themselves in this way is questionable too.
Interesting photos but obviously posed for maximum emotional (and advertising) impact.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2013, 12:56 PM

Many Alzheimers sufferers are oblivious of their situation.
Unlike the rest of of they would not register the huge change in their appearance so I think the pictures give a misleading impression.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2013, 01:05 PM

Quite right Meg.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2013, 02:02 AM

A couple of weeks ago I saw a play about altzeimers called Sundowner starring Helen Morse (who was brilliant) some of the dance sequences didn't work in my opinion and the play was warm, empathic but very disturbing.

I just hope that if I get to that stage I can remember where the gun is.

mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

01-04-2013, 05:03 AM

good one bruce - as I explained in the first thread I think; I have a dear friend in London who is caring for his wife [who has alzheimers] in the home they have shared for many years.

Having worked in mental health services in the past as he has; I am convinced that she is now getting the very best care she could ever hope for. His family have urged him to put her in some sort of home so that he can have a fully life. He will have none of it and although this has seriously curtailed his life, I and he both know that if this ever took place it would kill her.

She would be instantly sedated as she can be a restless soul and a fighter and would probably get into fights with other patients. when the weather is fine they go out and walk on the nearest common and when not able walk around the corridors in the flat complex.

This keeps her bowels moving well. she can still read to herself and often talks to an imaginary friend and accepts her carer who most of the time she does not recognize but just occasionally she does and for my mate these are rare and wonderful moments.

His brothers support him well as he never had kids. She twice "escaped" and was lost at one time for 12 hrs at night wandering the streets of London. The police finally found her and if it happens again the police now have a fast response plan.

So he has now had to turn his flat into a semi-fortress to prevent this happening again. Once she is in bed and asleep she never moves all night and so he can nip out and do some late night shopping or his own walk around the common.

A sad story of course but he is determined to continue to the end whatever that might be without the use of inpatient resources "till death do us part"

my comments on the play: being an ex-musician I did enjoy the music and dance routines but I think you have to take the whole thing in context and obviously the clip was only part of the play. However I do think the whole presentation was an attempt [and good one] of demonstrating the chaos,, confusing and distress that are part of the condition. I think the intent was to show us life through the eyes of the alzheimer sufferer and from that perspective I think it was excellent
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2013, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by mindbender ->
my comments on the play: being an ex-musician I did enjoy the music and dance routines but I think you have to take the whole thing in context and obviously the clip was only part of the play. However I do think the whole presentation was an attempt [and good one] of demonstrating the chaos,, confusing and distress that are part of the condition. I think the intent was to show us life through the eyes of the alzheimer sufferer and from that perspective I think it was excellent
Yes you have hit it right on the head, it was an excellent play. As I say some of the dance didn't quite work (or needed better direction) but that is a very minor criticism it was a very moving work and deserved the acclaim it has received. Helen Morse's performance overcame any shortcomings, she was superb. Apparently it was developed in partnership with Alzheimer’s Australia Vic
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2013, 03:32 AM

Knowing I'm at risk for memory loss (given family history and having MS), I sometimes think I'd rather choose a time and place to pass away quietly before I decline too far. With luck I've got a few years yet to ponder such an option.
fitou143
Essex
fitou143 is male  fitou143 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2013, 11:30 AM

I liked the photographs a very well put together piece of art work.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top