Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2013, 07:59 AM

Good or Bad

Can someone claim they have led a "Good Life" purely based on the fact that they have never been bad. Take a hypothetical situation, you are walking down the road and come across a poor soul who has passed out on the floor, he/she is In possession of the usual trappings, mobile phone, wallet etc, which you do not steal, but you are unwilling or ill equipped for resuscitation, so you walk on, were you good because you did not commit a crime, or were you bad because you chose, or were unable to assist the suffering party, in short, is it the case that if you are Good, and perform acts of kindness, you can be labeled Good, if you are Bad and commit wrong doings you can be labeled Bad, what label can be attributed to the group are neither, and where do they belong in the after life, Up or Down.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2013, 08:04 AM

Re: Good or Bad

If you didn't know first aid, you can still be a good person by dialling 999 and waiting with the poor soul until help arrived. What society deems as bad behaviour tends to be for the good of us all but they also have double standards so best not to use society as your only 'judge' of character.

I like the thought of 'going up' but I have a sneaky feeling it will be full of insufferable people full of their own self-worth
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2013, 08:41 AM

I think people are essentially good but chose sometimes to do bad things. It's rare to find a really bad person they are just people making the wrong decisions.

And the afterlife ? everyone goes the same place Heaven, forgiveness is a big part of Christianity so most things can be forgiven if we repent.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2013, 01:54 PM

I think there is no after life, when you die you die,imagine having to do it all again but somewhere else.I think people are either good or bad and thats how they die I dont believe they changeThis dreadful trial thats on at the minute,according to the radio he has offended before but I cant believe a woman would do that to her children,she should be hanged and he is just a man so you dont expect anything else.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2013, 02:01 PM

I doubt heaven is like life on earth so we won't be doing it all again. But I guess none of us will know until we go there.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2013, 02:10 PM

I think that it must be almost impossible to have a totally Good life, no matter how good you feel you have been in your life to date.

To most ordinary people I think that having a good life means trying your best to interact with everyone and everything that you encounter in your lifetime as positively, truthfully and honestly as you can.

That doesn't mean that we should all go round trying to behave like angels but we should at least try our best at all times to behave in accepted ways towards all our surroundings, be they animate or inanimate.

I think that I can honestly say that everything that I ever did so far in my life that could be considered "bad" is so deeply ingrained in me that I try NEVER to repeat that mistake but I'd never in a million years claim to have been "good" all my 61 years of life as it took me this far to begin to understand it all. stevmk2
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2013, 02:35 PM

Black and white for some, but for me there are many shades of grey in life.
No, there's no afterlife but it's how you are remembered that is important .. I'd like to be remembered with a smile.
I'd not walk past that poor soul lying on the ground spitfire, I too would dial 999 and leave their care to the experts.
Now, if the cash machine pumped out a £1000 instead of the £100 I'd requested, then as long as I were only charged the £100, I'd take it .. does that make me bad?
I'd say foolish, if I didn't take it
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2013, 03:13 PM

People's definition of what is good or bad varies from one person to the next.

The Ten Commandments are a good guideline.

Janela said she would take the 1,000 when she had only requested 100, now she does not feel that it's wrong but that is taking something that does not belong to you, so I think that is stealing.

Some people who have committed crimes judge themselves better than some one who they feel has committed a worse crime.

I would never do any one harm and prefer to help if I can.
Not one of us is perfect all we can do is our best according to our conscience.

I don't know if I am going up or down, that is not for me to judge.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2013, 03:15 PM

My dear old gran was a churchgoer all her long industrious life. She married an older man in 1920 who never worked much having been gassed & badly treated in the Great War ,whilst a POW.
They had 2 daughters & fostered another 3 of their nieces.
She had no worries about which way she was going after her death as she “Would be bound to know loads of people either way”

Grampy was reflective too. Aged 5 in answer to my request for a magic wand “So I could do good & help people” He was fast in coming back to me with”You’re far too young to have a magic wand.

Having had a roller coaster of a life I am now of the opinion that
NO-ONE is old enough to have a magic wand.

If heaven exists (and I do) I think we shall be surprised at the mix of faces & faiths queuing beside us.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2013, 11:14 PM

I suppose the original premise of this thread was, if you assume that the message of the scriptures is correct, is it enough to be an inert being, to guarantee passage to the next existence, if such a state exists.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top