Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

04-04-2013, 12:01 PM

What is your definition of love?

I find it very hard to understand how you can love a person but not like or respect them.

What does love mean to you, and how does it feel?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2013, 12:42 PM

Re: What is your definition of love?

Its a good question - I didn't like my Mother, but I respected her work ethic. I wonder now - if I did love her, or was it the bond thing, can a 'bond' be one sided, she had 'no' bond to me.. so where my Mother is concerned, I'm at a loss with your question, I thought I loved her, because I spent so many years wanting the love of a Mother - why did I bother otherwise....?
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2013, 01:50 PM

I don't think that I loved my parents. I certainly didn't respect them . They thought their family reflected on them so everything was "what would people think of your parents?" I gave up trying to please them.
Maybe they 'loved' me according to their own criteria.

I have tried not to be like my parents.
However, I still can't define love.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2013, 01:52 PM

It's not complicated. You either feel love for another person or you don't. There are of course different kinds of love. If it has to be explained then you just don't feel it. You love some one as a whole, warts and all. Simples.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2013, 01:55 PM

Thats 'true' love Mall... With my Mother - it 'was' complicated, because I tried so hard with her, I must have loved her...
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

04-04-2013, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
I don't think that I loved my parents. I certainly didn't respect them . They thought their family reflected on them so everything was "what would people think of your parents?" I gave up trying to please them.

We're in the same boat - welcome aboard
I can define love, because its what I wanted and what I give to others... just confused where Mothers concerned, but that doesn't matter now...
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2013, 02:09 PM

As has been said there are different sorts of love the love I feel for my parents is different to that I feel for my niece, nephews and great niece, and different again from the love I have for my husband. I loved them all but didn't like or respect some of them. I also love my dogs and loved my cats when we had them, again a different sort of love and I certainly didn't like each one all the time but the love over came that, hard to like when someone has just rolled in fox poo and is getting into your car, or eaten a runny cow pat and is now wanting a kiss ! But never stopped me loving them despite that.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

04-04-2013, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->

I don't think I loved my parents either. I got on well with my father in the last years of his life, but when he died I didn't feel any grief, I was just pleased he was out of pain. As for my Mother it was a huge relief when she died in February. I didn't even feel the need to attend her funeral, especially as it would have been very inconvenient for me to do so as it meant catching a plane.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

04-04-2013, 02:14 PM

'Thats' what love is gal....You and Mall sum that up well... Its a genuine and sincere feeling of care and warmth for another...
Oops - Willow got there first, my reply is to Julie and Mall..
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2013, 04:23 PM

I feel you can love someone but not have to agree with everything they do or say. Its a give and take life. I have loved a lot of people during my decades here on Earth. I loved my Mother but didnt like my Dad. I loved my husband when he was around but we didnt agree with everything. I love both my sons and again we dont always agree but we still would look after each other. I also have had lots of animals and I loved them and missed them so much when they died. So love is a give and take and a staying thing. You dont have to be with someone all of the time but you can still love them and you forgive their foibles. Nobody is perfect. I am sorry you didnt get love from your Mother Willow. I did have that love and it makes you a warmer person which is a shame that not everyone can get in their life.
Both my parents would have been 100 years old now and they were brought up by hard parents and also had hard times going through the second world war. My Dad was away for 6 years so came back mentally scarred from what he saw. I can now understand why he was like he was but as a Child I couldnt see that. I made sure that my children were brought up with lots of love and education and they are grown up adults with their own loving lives now.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top