Join for free
Wanda
High Peak, Derbyshire, UK
Wanda is female  Wanda has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2009, 04:03 PM

Wheat Intolerance

Anybody else have this problem?

I've always had a bit of an irritable tummy - touch of IBS perhaps - but just recently, say over the last 6 months, my tolerance of anything with wheat in it has gone to pot. I'm saying wheat, but it may be gluten, as rye has the same effect. Bloating, runs, etc....!!!

I've stopped eating anything with wheat, rye, whatever in it, including cakes etc., and have started making my own with recipes off the web for flourless cakes and puddings - and very tasty they are!

Bread is a problem, because the ones you can make are awful, so I buy the very cheapest white bread and I can cope with just one slice per day. Not very tasty but better than no bread at all, and OK when toasted!

The only thing that changed six months ago was that I stopped smoking, after 40 odd years I thought perhaps that was why my tummy was upset, as I know stopping smoking can cause problems, but I think this has gone on too long now for that to be the cause.

Bit odd really
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2009, 05:44 PM

Re: Wheat Intolerance

I don't but my friend does, she swells up and sometimes throws up too. I cant believe how expensive the alternatives are, found that out as she sometimes comes to stay!
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2009, 06:09 PM

Had it for ages then through a friend started taking 1 vit B complex and 1 vit C & zinc tablet a day and im lots better.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2009, 06:45 PM

Try my detox Wanda! I did it for two years

I posted this in another thread yonks ago but as I get loads of people PMing me about it thought I'd create a new thread for it, and if anyone is interested in doing it and wants to ask any questions about certain foods I'll try and answer in here

It's quite old now so I'm not sure if any of it needs updating... but it worked for me

ALLOWED

Cauliflower
Carrots
Peas
Cabbage
Broccoli
Sliced Beans
Broad Beans
Sweet corn
Onions
Cucumber
Lettuce
Salad
Celery
Bean Sprouts
Butter Beans
Chick Peas
Lentils
Pears
Apples

Rye
Corn
Oats (if you get arthritic pain, avoid)
Barley
Brown Rice
Natural Nuts (almonds etc)

Chicken
Turkey
Beef
Lamb
Eggs (Organic only)
Fish
Natural WATER!

MODERATE

Wheat
Lemon
Prawns
Aubergine
Bananas
Potatoes
Tomatoes

AVOID

Milk
Sugar
Cheese
Yeast
Tea
Coffee
Chocolate
Caffeine
MSG (Monosodium Glutamate)
Mixed Moulds
Mushrooms
Dust mites
Pre-packaged Meals etc
Alcohol + Soft Fizzy Drinks etc
Oranges (although I used to eat them!)
Sprouts

Some Notes…

This is the same Detox that I did myself a few years ago. I get lots and lots of people asking about it so I thought I should type it out!

If you’re reading this then you are obviously more than just interested, which is great. When I decided to try it, I was told to stick to it to best I could as ‘breaking’ it would mean having to start from day one again, meaning all that hard work would be wasted

Remember that the Detox isn’t just about what you eat, it’s also about what we ‘intake’ in our day to day lives, such as toothpastes and shampoos for example! We really do have to watch everything that goes into our bodies, whether that’s through the mouth, nose or via skin absorption. Basically we are trying to ‘undo’ the ‘badness’ that has built up into our system (toxins).

Items in the avoid list should be avoided at all costs!! Check the ingredients list of all purchases – make sure none of the items to be avoided are there. At all!

Items in the moderate list can be eaten/used up to twice a week.

Items in the allowed list can be eaten anytime and as much as wanted!

A good quality multi vitamin is sometimes recommended (older people may want to consider calcium supplements). Deodorants that contain alcohol or aluminium must not be used (daily baths/showers work just as good – especially as the toxins reduce over time). Most non-natural deodorants contain unwanted chemicals so as a safeguard, don’t use them. Do not use perfumes or aftershaves – if you must, get some natural aromatherapy oils instead. Do not use fluoride toothpaste – instead get fluoride-free (Boots and Sainsbury’s do their own).

An important part of any Detox is Water intake. Aim to drink 2 litres of Natural bottled (not tap) water a day. In the first week drink half a litre a day, in the 2nd week drink 1 litre a day and from the third week on 2 litres a day (if you feel any pain in your tummy area, reduce the water intake, and if you are worried about the pain see your doctor). Obviously you will be peeing a lot more as you are drinking more!

How long should a Detox last? It’s a general suggestion to try the detox for at least a month. If you feel it’s of no benefit to you then simply go back to your own diet (re-introduce foods one at a time, one food item per week). I kept on the detox myself until I reached the point that I was feeling as good as I was going to feel (everyday I felt better than yesterday! And when that stagnated, it felt like I was detoxified ).

I hope this helps you as much as it helped me and I wish you lots of luck!!

Always make sure you get medical advice from your doctor before starting any new diet, the above is by no means any professional or recommended ‘advice’, it is just what I did myself and has been reproduced purely at the request of others.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top