Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2014, 08:13 PM

5 to 7 portions of fruit and veg

The latest advice now is that 5-7 portions of fruit and veg could help prevent cancer. First, what is actually meant by 'a portion'? With the price of fruit and veg nowadays, there will be many folk who just cannot afford to heed that advice. What do you all think?
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2014, 08:28 PM

Re: 5 to 7 portions of fruit and veg

That we are being encouraged to become vegetarian - soon they'll say we need so many portions that we won't be able to eat anything else!

Portions seem to vary a lot depending on what the fruit or veg is, though. Carrots are cheap!
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2014, 08:33 PM

Fruit is far from cheap though orangutan. I think you're right, they want us all to become vegetarians, I hadn't thought of that. I'm still confused as to what a portion is. I would have thought they would have explained that on the news.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2014, 08:39 PM

I used to buy a lot of fresh fruit and veg but would end up wasting loads of it. Now I buy frozen fruit and veg from Tescos and never waste any. The frozen fruit costs 88p a bag (500 grams) and the veggies £1 a bag (1kg), plus £1 bags of sweetcorn (1kg), all of which are exceptional value. I also buy fresh tomatoes and onions, apples (sometimes), a few bananas. I eat some fruit with my brekkie and a bowl of veggies in an evening some times though not every day. The rest of the time I make sarnies. My diet isn't for everyone though but I don't seem to starve and my fitness seems good too. All this stuff adds up to not much at all.

Is it doing me any good? Well I hope so but I do supplement my diet with various health tablets for calcium and the like.

As for what size is a portion I don't think it is as much people expect. Probably the size of a small apple with regard to fruit and a bit more for veggies.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2014, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Stella H ->
Fruit is far from cheap though orangutan. I think you're right, they want us all to become vegetarians, I hadn't thought of that. I'm still confused as to what a portion is. I would have thought they would have explained that on the news.
I agree that fruit is not cheap. A lot of vegetables aren't that cheap either. I eat a lot of veg, but my fruit consumption seems to have declined recently partly due to the cost.
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk

01-04-2014, 08:43 PM

But are frozen veg as nutritious as fresh veg Mark?
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

01-04-2014, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
I used to buy a lot of fresh fruit and veg but would end up wasting loads of it. Now I buy frozen fruit and veg from Tescos and never waste any. The frozen fruit costs 88p a bag (500 grams) and the veggies £1 a bag (1kg), plus £1 bags of sweetcorn (1kg), all of which are exceptional value. I also buy fresh tomatoes and onions, apples (sometimes), a few bananas. I eat some fruit with my brekkie and a bowl of veggies in an evening some times though not every day. The rest of the time I make sarnies. My diet isn't for everyone though but I don't seem to starve and my fitness seems good too. All this stuff adds up to not much at all.

Is it doing me any good? Well I hope so but I do supplement my diet with various health tablets for calcium and the like.
I just wonder how much of the benefit you are getting if you are using mainly frozen produce? I don't know much about it but would have thought that freezing and thawing takes away some of the beneficial things?
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

01-04-2014, 08:45 PM

Snap!
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2014, 08:46 PM

Well unless something deteriorates during the freezing I would have thought they were. I don't find fruit all that appealing so fresh stuff just sits in the fridge more often than not eventually rotting, whereas with the frozen stuff there isn't any preparing just the defrosting and I can easily bung some on my porridge. Suits me.
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk

01-04-2014, 08:46 PM

I'm sitting here right now eating sliced raw carrot - honestly. I love it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top