Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2019, 07:04 PM

Re: Car Insurance Increase.

Originally Posted by Mups ->
After much searching and questioning, I have finally changed insurance companies. I hope I've done the right thing.

I think I am covered for everything I wanted, I hope I haven't overlooked anything, and have also managed to save myself £114.
I'll see how it goes.
I wouldn't worry. Sensible people change insurance companies every year with no problem.
Having said that, I haven't for a couple of years because our company, LV, have not increased our premium above a few pounds over that time.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2019, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I wouldn't worry. Sensible people change insurance companies every year with no problem.
Having said that, I haven't for a couple of years because our company, LV, have not increased our premium above a few pounds over that time.

Thanks JBR.
I haven't changed for donkeys years, so felt very unsure and a bit intimidated at the way they rattle off their long, well rehearsed speeches.

Anyway, I am quite pleased with myself that I managed and hope I've chosen well.
I have moved to the RAC. I read loads of reviews first and as with all the companies, some were good and some not so good, but at least there were many more good than bad.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2020, 12:55 PM

Hi

Car Insurance time next month.

It has gone up again, fewer miles and no claims or convictions.

Time for a change once again.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2020, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Don't forget to try the companies that don't use the comparison sites
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2020, 08:42 AM

Hi

Same here,they wanted £150 more, ain't going to happen, I've looked and get it cheaper than their price from last year.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2020, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Don't forget to try the companies that don't use the comparison sites
There are also insurance companies only accessed by insurance brokers, they are often that much cheaper when others would mean an increase in premium. I've used an insurance broker for about 15 years now, both for House & Contents insurance and Motor insurance. The brokers get their commission directly from the insurance companies they generally place their business with so not from the premium you pay. Almost every year my insurances remain the same, one year it actually reduced, this year (June) it did increase by just £9. I know if I pushed it they would have reduced it. The added bonus with a broker is that in the event of a claim, I had one when last year a pheasant colliding with the front of the car damaged the Cruise Control camera, the broker does all the work in placing any repairs and organising payment. I didn't even have to fill in a form, a couple of phone calls and e-mails and it was all sorted out.

Another plus is that the broker will do exactly what you have to do yourself with online companies and check with many insurance companies for a competitive premium. They also ensure all the terms and conditions etc. are the same as previously. This is often where online companies change things to remain competitive, often you may not realise until it comes to making a claim.

I receive first a text to remind me of the renewal date three weeks before it's due plus the renewal premium. They then phone me a week later to discuss this. All being agreed in that call or any changes required they send paperwork, either in the post or online and phone again two or three days before renewal date for payment over the phone.

Trouble-free insurance and really excellent service is how I would describe their service.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2020, 12:40 PM

Hi

I moved house 2 years ago next month and changed all the Insurances.

House, Contents, Car and Breakdown.

I have used the Comparison Websites, and thanks to advice from others, those not on the Comparison Websites.

The total for automatic renewal for all 3 came to £798.

I have cancelled those, got new ones and the total is now £396 for the same cover, less Excesses and EU wide Breakdown.

I am a happy womble.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2020, 12:57 PM

Hi

I moved house 2 years ago next month and changed all the Insurances.

House, Contents, Car and Breakdown.

I have used the Comparison Websites, and thanks to advice from others, those not on the Comparison Websites.

The total for automatic renewal for all 3 came to £798.

I have cancelled those, got new ones and the total is now £396 for the same cover, less Excesses and EU wide Breakdown.

I am a happy womble.
Not surprised you are a happy Womble, that is half the price!

Mine this year (end of June) came to £518 but too many variables to make a comparison. As you can see I in my post, I use an insurance broker every year and have done for around 15 years now, they do all the work in searching for the best deal and so far no complaints, touch wood.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2020, 06:27 PM

It's getting worse.

My AA policy comes to an end, in November, and the renewal is now £840.

Called the AA & asked why it had gone up 60 quid.

No real answer.

Went on the search web site and found Sterling doing the same cover for £590. Went back to AA & they wouldn't match it so I'm now going with Sterling.

A bit odd, though, as Sterling required a copy of my driving licence numbers, plus a promise not to exceed the stated mileage, plus a promise that the car will be Locked in the garage over night.

it's all getting a bit heated!

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2020, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
It's getting worse.

My AA policy comes to an end, in November, and the renewal is now £840.

Called the AA & asked why it had gone up 60 quid.

No real answer.

Went on the search web site and found Sterling doing the same cover for £590. Went back to AA & they wouldn't match it so I'm now going with Sterling.

A bit odd, though, as Sterling required a copy of my driving licence numbers, plus a promise not to exceed the stated mileage, plus a promise that the car will be Locked in the garage over night.

it's all getting a bit heated!

This is why we always do a comparison when our renewals of home insurance and motor insurance are coming up for renewal.

Having said that, both RIAS and LV have kept their prices pretty much the same for us for a few years now, surprisingly.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top