Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2009, 01:26 PM

The infected finger saga

Yes folks the saga continues.

A year ago I was bitten on the finger by a mosquito, we've been plagued up here by them the last few years, it got infected and swelled up quite badly.
I phoned the docs and a nurse had a look and prescribed Penicillin, I told her that I suspected I was allergic to Penicillin so she had a look at the PC data bank and said no such info was on the data base.

I took the AB's for a week but no improvement was visible so I went back and saw a different nurse, she prescribed the same AB's and yet again there was no improvement.
Went back again and insisted I saw my GP, he sent me for an x-ray to make sure the insects mouth-parts weren't still in the finger, nothing showed up, yet again he prescribed Penicillin against my advice that I was allergic to it.

By this time several weeks had passed, the finger had improved a bit but in no way was it completely healed.
Again I visited the surgery at which point he gave me a massive course of AB's, time wore on and in late November on a Saturday afternoon the swelling was so bad it was up to my elbow, I phoned the emergency number and they told me to go to casualty at 3pm, the doc in there gave me another massive dose of Penicillin even after I told him I suspected I was allergic to it.

Time wore on again, by this time it was March this year, another visit to the docs produced even more Penicillin, after taking it for 6 days I took severe toothache, went to the dentist and told her I had been taking Penicillin, she looked at me and said according to her records I was allergic to Penicillin.

I went straight to the docs surgery and by coincidence the lady that does all the managerial admin came out of her office, I told her the on-going story and asked her to check the HARD COPY records in the archive room, she did so and came back to tell me I was allergic to Penicillin.

WHY didn't my GP do this last year, why didn't the two Nurses do this they all have access to the archive room, that's what it's there for.

A mistake had been made years ago when they transferred all the records from paper to the PC data base, I've said this for years, . . a PC is only as good as the person putting data into it.

I seldom have the need for AB's, I can't remember the last time I took them as it was many tears ago, but instead of getting up off their backsides and going to look at the proper records they gave me a medicine I'm allergic to.

I wonder what would've happened if I had went into shock and either died or took a massive heart attack, if you can't trust your GP or the medical profession in general who can you trust ?

Yep, . . it's swollen yet again, I await a phone call from the surgery to go and get MORE anti-backs, . . this time however it won't be Penicillin, . . would anybody like to place a bet I don't see my GP.

Ha ha, . . as I type the phone rings, it's the surgery, . . "we have a prescription for you" they say, . . if it's Penicillin I'll insert in in someone so if I'm not back in 15 mins you'll know I'm in the cells.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2009, 01:32 PM

Re: The infected finger saga

What a saga!

I hope that whatever you get this time does the trick; as you say you are very fortunate that your intolerance to penicillin did not lead to anaphalactic shock or similar. It sounds more like you are actually totally immune to its effects, which is unfortunate/fortunate at the same time.

Good luck!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2009, 02:59 PM

Sue them! I'm fed up with my GP too - I went to see them in Feb and it turns out the doc I saw didn't read my notes as I had meds waiting to be prescribed me (which I only got last month). Grrr!

Hope you feel better soon Nero!
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2009, 03:38 PM

I'm giving serious consideration to that Azz, especially after I drew their attention to the fact that I thought I had an allergy to Penicillin.

They had the prescription ready for me when I went round BTW, it's Euromicin they've prescribed, I asked the receptionist if I could see someone but she said no one was available, not available my backside, they knew I was coming round as I only live 5 mins away, I suspect they were all hiding in the toilet, . . including the GP's.

Perhaps now they will listen to a patient and go check the archived records and not believe what some idiot has entered in a data base, . . anyways, I'll see how I get on with this batch, I won't be holding my breath though, why don't they send me for a scan ? or will that be too expensive ? if as I suspect, there are insects mouth parts in there they would be too small to show up on a normal x-ray, because of the continual flare up of the knuckle this must be a fact, it's my body's natural ability to reject a foreign body that's causing the repeated infection.

Is there a biologist in the house ?
nero
Central Scotland

10-09-2009, 06:49 PM

Just took a pic of the offending appendage, it's not painful, the redness was probably caused by the Magnesium Oxide but you can see the hole where I was bitten.

That's another thing, . . I tried to get Kaoline Poultice but it's unobtainable, another of old granny Smiths good remedies lost forever.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2009, 09:50 PM

What a horrible, distressing story! Thank goodness your allergy wasn't enough to send you into anaphylactic shock. It looks very painful indeed; hope the Euromicin will help.
nero
Central Scotland

11-09-2009, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
What a saga!

I hope that whatever you get this time does the trick; as you say you are very fortunate that your intolerance to penicillin did not lead to anaphalactic shock or similar. It sounds more like you are actually totally immune to its effects, which is unfortunate/fortunate at the same time.

Good luck!
Last winter was the worst I've ever had DM, usually I'm as fit as a fiddle, I jog with the dogs every morning for a couple of miles, after taking Penicillin (eight different prescriptions) for months I felt so down it was unbelievable.

Tiredness listlessness were all doing my head in, when I was taken off the Penicillin and put on a different AB the life started to come back into these old bones of mine.

In future I'll trust my own instincts and not what anyone else advises.
nero
Central Scotland

19-09-2009, 09:50 AM

Well folks, I finished the AB's on Thursday and it still doesn't look too good, I put a fresh dressing on it last night with a little Savlon cream so we'll see how it goes in the next few days.
misty
Northamptonshire UK
misty is female  misty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2009, 10:33 AM

Try a drop of iodine nero. I had a bite on my ankle 2 months ago, the whole lower leg swelled, and the irritation was something else. It was celluitus. The AB's took most of it away but my foot and ankle are still swollen, no sign of the bite though. The iodine should kill any nasties that might be in the wound. Worth a try.
misty
Northamptonshire UK
misty is female  misty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2009, 10:47 AM

Scrap that an inodine dressing would be better if the wound is open. You can get that from any chemist.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top