Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2018, 09:21 AM

Drugs shortage ?

Two prescriptions for my husband recently the pharmacy haven't been able to get the drugs, so now trying a third prescription hoping they have the third choice. Then my epipens run out next week so I presented my prescription and they can't get them either.

What's going on ? It's not just one pharmacy I've tried numark, boots, lloyds, and sainsburys with the three prescriptions.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2018, 09:32 AM

Re: Drugs shortage ?

Have you asked the Parmacies why they haven't for the medicines? When Boots haven't got a prescribed drug, that I need, they put in an emergency order so I can get it the following day, or explain to me why they are no longer stocking that drug.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2018, 09:35 AM

Of course they tell me they can't get them that there are shortages. I was trying to find out why that is really twink. Why have we got shortages ?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2018, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Of course they tell me they can't get them that there are shortages. I was trying to find out why that is really twink. Why have we got shortages ?
Well I assume it depends on what drugs they are! Pharmaceutical companies will only produce drugs that they can make a profit on, so may have reduced production on some.
You could write to the company that make them and ask why, or speak to your doctor to establish if any other medicine will do the same job.

I know the NHS are prescribing the cheapest option, but most pharmacies should have a stock of some kind, unless they are drugs that are rarely prescribed.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2018, 10:02 AM

http://www.ulmedicines.co.uk/Product...ages-list-2018

At the heart of the problem are changes in the European import and export market. A weak Pound and strong Euro had reduced the benefits from using parallel imported products; increasing the demand for UK medicines both from UK pharmacies and internationally. This is a complex issue – there is no easy solution.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

10-04-2018, 10:19 AM

Thanks nom, and I'd suggest the idea some drugs are just not often prescribed is a rather scary thought twink. Surely no matter the problem we all deserve to access the drugs we need or its survival of the fittest. Neither of us are to blame for our problems one is genetic and the other allergies which I can't have caused myself.

It's interesting the children's versions of the medication seem widely available it's only adult versions affected so far.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

10-04-2018, 10:29 AM

Thanks nom, and I'd suggest the idea some drugs are just not often prescribed is a rather scary thought twink. Surely no matter the problem we all deserve to access the drugs we need or its survival of the fittest. Neither of us are to blame for our problems one is genetic and the other allergies which I can't have caused myself.

It's interesting the children's versions of the medication seem widely available it's only adult versions affected so far.
I agree , it is scary, but pharmaceutical companies are only interested in making a profit..... and it costs a lot of money to produce drugs that are rarely prescribed!
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2018, 11:07 AM

This is a little worrying as I just been put on about 8 or so meds for my heart with strict instructions never to miss a dose.

I suppose if the worst happens the doctor will be able to find alternatives.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

10-04-2018, 11:13 AM

I hope so as I said so far we've tried two alternatives for my husbands klinfelters medication. I'm going down later after I hear he's ok (undergoing another op at the moment) to see if they can prescribe a third. He runs out today so if they can't find one we are in real trouble.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2018, 11:57 AM

I hope so as I said so far we've tried two alternatives for my husbands klinfelters medication. I'm going down later after I hear he's ok (undergoing another op at the moment) to see if they can prescribe a third. He runs out today so if they can't find one we are in real trouble.

Another op Julie? Oh dear, sorry about that, I thought he was progressing ok.
Is he able to walk better now?

I'm wondering if we will have to order any drugs online next?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top